3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2008 Mopar chrome fuel door problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:37 PM
nextreme
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Mopar chrome fuel door problem

Hey,

I have a Mopar chrome fuel door on my 2008 QC. Recently the door seems really loose and it doesn't hold itself closed.

I took it off and noticed that the mechanism that makes the door stay closed is just a simple spring pushing against a piece of plastic. When you open or close the door this piece of plastic is supposed to push against the door to make it snap open or closed.

It seems that when you open the cover, the plastic pushes in, depressing the spring, but then doesn't pop back out. I can force the plastic back out again with a screw driver but it just keeps doing it. The spring looks fine. I wish I could take it apart to see what is causing it but I cannot get the door off the ring. I have sprayed the heck out of it with some lubricant/anti-oxidant but it doesn't help.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen? How did you fix it?

Thanks

Old 02-26-2011, 10:16 PM
nextreme
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, forget it. The piece of garbage broke while I was trying to take the door apart. It looks like it is made of white metal. It turns out the problem with it was that dirt had gotten in around the small plastic piece and jammed it. My advice, don't but one of these!

Old 02-27-2011, 06:32 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I know mine looks like it is polished cast and cast metal is usually soft. Sorry to hear yours broke.

Quick Reply: 2008 Mopar chrome fuel door problem