3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

voltage spiking

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a bad diode in the rectifier allowing AC voltage out through into the system.. I highly doubt the PCM has gone bad.. although you could just be that unlucky..

Old 03-13-2011, 11:55 AM
techguy_09
Rookie

without replacing the alternator, would putting any thing on the stereo fix the issue?

Old 03-14-2011, 10:46 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

What headunit do you have? Do you have amps or not?

Old 03-14-2011, 04:10 PM
nateroach
Veteran

Originally Posted by techguy_09
without replacing the alternator, would putting any thing on the stereo fix the issue?
Kinda tough to fix an issue that you haven't throughly identified yet. have you checked to see if your getting AC leakage on the alt output? if it is an ac wave riding on your DC you can do several things to band-aid the issue for a while, but the diode bridge in the alt isn't going to heal itself, it's just going to get worse.

the cheapest and maybe easiest route is to try some ferrite beads, or "chokes" to block some of the AC component, other wise a induction/low pass filter can be made with a inductor and or capacitors (in parallel) to block the AC rider.

best route, get a new alt, if that is indeed your problem

nateroach

Old 03-15-2011, 04:31 PM
techguy_09
Rookie

just at the alt pulled and bench tested no bad diodes, so not sure at this point, my stereo guy is going to put filters on and see what happens. ill let you all know thanks everyone. i am considering just putting a new alt on but i dont really have 160 $ right now for a new one.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:24 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

What headunit do you have? Do you have amps or not?

Old 03-16-2011, 01:52 PM
nateroach
Veteran

Weed VV
ok got the alt checked again and all is fine, since i have no stereo at the moment i have a pair of computer speakers plugged in usb in a dc port and im using my phone. now when i plug in my phone to charge in a dc to usb connector into the other port the "ghost sound" comes back and this time i got a recording of it

http://www.mediafire.com/?5m4afezea8g9mwq
nateroach

Old 03-16-2011, 03:34 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by nateroach
Weed VV

nateroach
Gotcha. I guess being he kept saying stereo through me off. VVV

ok got the alt checked again and all is fine, since i have no stereo at the moment i have a pair of computer speakers plugged in usb in a dc port and im using my phone. now when i plug in my phone to charge in a dc to usb connector into the other port the "ghost sound" comes back and this time i got a recording of it

http://www.mediafire.com/?5m4afezea8g9mwq
So to clarify we have a power inverter or sorts?? What is this DC port? USD is already DC power. If you use your phone without it being plugged in then everything works and sounds fine right? But when you plug it in to charge you start to hear the sound?

So maybe the phone charger or DC plug or inverter is the issue?

Old 03-25-2011, 09:58 AM
techguy_09
Rookie

hi all got a update, stereo guy found the problem. ground cable for the ecu was loose. no more noise YAY thanks everyone for the help

much appreciated (B)

Quick Reply: voltage spiking