3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

265/70 17s regular to 295/70 17s mt's on a 1500 MC-mpg/torque other worries?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 04:58 PM
MrIcky
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What were you getting before you changed to those tires bigbluemega? I've been getting about 11/17 with the stock tires.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:50 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Who needs or cares about good MPH these days??

Old 02-27-2011, 07:27 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have significantly changed your effective gear ratio. This will reduce your engine rpm at any given speed. You'll also find you have less torque to put down. When I went from 265s to 285s, the rpm at 80 went down from 2,020 to 1,980. I've not seen a significant drop in highway mileage. In fact, I got the best mileage ever on a recent trip (16.3).

Old 02-28-2011, 12:52 PM
MrIcky
Amateur

Well it's a done deal- it's raining or I'd post a pic. You can definitely feel a difference but I don't think it's going to be a huge deal. I was sort of worried about gas mileage, but more worried it would break things without reinforcing the running gear. I'll just make sure the grease fittings stay well greased and the diff's get flushed regularly.

It feels like it still has enough get up and go to pull the trailer, we'll see in April I guess. So far I feel it most in the brakes-definitely effected the braking negatively. Still at 9.8 mm though so I'm not going to change to more aggressive pads or anything yet.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:38 AM
bigbluemega
Amateur

curious on the the E rating. If not towing heavy, what is the advantage of the E rated tire over the D rated tire on my Megagasser?

Old 03-24-2011, 12:04 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MrIcky
I have weather checking on my OE 'off-road' BF Goodrich tires for my 1500 MegaCab with 3.73 gears. I'm considering upgrading to Toyo MT 295/70s. I know they'll fit, but the quick specs indicate that I'm looking at 16lbs per tire more for this particular set-up.

What's people's experience been with similar set ups on a megacab or 2500 type axle setup as far as mileage, torque drop, premature wear, etc.

I did a search btw, but it all came up with "does it fit"- but I know it fits with no real issue. Just wondering if it's a good decision to get such an aggressive lug pattern and all the weight associated with it.

Nice tire choice, btw. I've always liked the Toyo MTs.

Are we talking CTD or Hemi here?

IF it's a CTD, you are golden just the way you are. Maybe a slight MPG loss, nothing major. You have PLENTY of low end torque to off-set the mid range gear ratio and turn those tires.

IF it's a Hemi, you will notice a difference. IMO the Hemi should only be offered with the performance superior 4.10 gears and not at all with the 3.73s. This truck is TOO heavy and the Hemi lacks the low end torque necessary to achieve proper performance. If it was me, I'd be looking at getting 4.56 gears if I was going to a tire over stock size. You'll get the vehicle up into the Hemi's power band sooner which will yield more power and better city gas mileage at the same time. Highway mileage won't suffer much (if at all) due to the fact that you have essentially TWO over-drive gears.

It won't be cheap, but you'll have a truck that feels like a whole new animal and a bit of a beast if you went to better gearing.

Originally Posted by bigbluemega
curious on the the E rating. If not towing heavy, what is the advantage of the E rated tire over the D rated tire on my Megagasser?
As far as the "D" tire vs. "E" tire thing. I've had one 3/4 ton truck in my life. A Furd diesel which I primarily used to tow my bass boat around for tournaments and the occasional wood cutting/hauling deal for my fireplace/stove insert. I bought it used with "E" tires and they were HARSH, especially when towing the 2500# or so bass boat. Because I never towed anything near capacity and almost never hauled anything anywhere near capacity of a "D" tire, I replaced them with D load range tires. Night and day ride quality difference.

I currently run a D load tire on my QC 1500, even though I have that half ton pig up to almost 7000#, it's well within a "D" tire's specs.

IMO if you don't NEED an "E" tire, don't get an "E" tire...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 03-24-2011 at 12:10 PM.

Quick Reply: 265/70 17s regular to 295/70 17s mt's on a 1500 MC-mpg/torque other worries?