3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What the H#ll?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:42 PM
rlfa83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking What the H#ll?!

Ok, so im sure its been mentioned on here before, but im new and have questions...
I have an 04 1500 4x4. Im currently running 315's on it.
I just picked up a new set of 315's as well as a set of 17x9 Ultra Wheel Nomads.
SO! here is my question. If I have a rubbing issue should I crank up the torsion keys some more OR do I pick up a set of these "leveling" keys they sell
I mean, are the "leveling" key kits really going to make a difference as apposed to adjusting to factory's more?

Also, I want to bring the rear up a little bit - I see some people mentioning the Monroe coil-over kit, does that bring up the rear some as well as upping my hauling capacity?
Or should I pick up a set of 2" blocks or Add-a-leafs?
Sorry for all the newbie questions....Im just tired to searching

Old 02-22-2011, 08:52 PM
burnse

The leveling keys are to help give you more height than the stock torsion bars will allow I think but don't hold me to that. For the rear you would need to get a block or a aal a coilover set up would do nothing for you since you have leaf springs. If you can't find a block or aal fat bob's garage.com has both that's were i just ordered my aal.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:14 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Where are you rubbing at? Is it on turns only or when you hit bumps?

Old 02-23-2011, 08:48 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Well if you got new wheels with the tires, the wheels could have a different backspacing and you would need some spacers (or whatever those things are called) to get rid of the rubbing.

Like weed said, need to know where the rubbing is taking place, going over a bump or turning.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:27 PM
the_ocho
Rookie

i'm running 35x12.5 with the same wheels on my 2wd with a 3in kit and i don't rub at all even off road.

BTW your the first other person iv heard of with the nomads they are a 17x9 with 5.39 bs and +10 offset

Last edited by the_ocho; 02-23-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:49 PM
rlfa83

Originally Posted by the_ocho
i'm running 35x12.5 with the same wheels on my 2wd with a 3in kit and i don't rub at all even off road.

BTW your the first other person iv heard of with the nomads they are a 17x9 with 5.39 bs and +10 offset

I have been looking at these rims for the past year! They have them at Summit Racing as a "house" brand rim, but they are the same thing. I absolutly love the look!
I found these at Tire Rack for $129 a each - but the greatest part is I work at a dealership & we deal with Tire Rack all the time - so I ordered
them thru the dealer, paid $105 a each including shipping/lug nuts/centercaps....

I installed them today on the truck - they look great! Absolutly no rubbing at all with normal driving - Have yet to run it down the farm driveway , so we will see.
I ordered up a Fabtech add-a-leaf kit for the rear - supposed to be a 1.5" lift.

Another question I have is about the leveling keys....
Is there ANY difference between cranking up the torsion bars as apposed to installing the Lift keys?

Old 02-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Lecrict
Professional
Thumbs down

Where are the pictures?

Old 02-24-2011, 04:49 AM
the_ocho
Rookie

the difference between cranking the tbars and keys is that if you crank the bars you stiffen the spring rate making a harsher ride the keys will re index the bars allowing for the lift without having to stiffen the spring rate or you maybe even able to relax the bars some and still get desired lift. or you can crank em with the keys for even more lift but then you get into CV angles

the wheels were on my truck when i bought it at first i didn't care for em at all ill even go as far as i didn't like em one bit. mainly because the back spacing and i thought i may have issues running 35s as was my plan from day one and i didn't think they looked good wrapped in my 285 70s. but when i bit the bullet and put the 35s on expecting rubbing and all that just to find out they fit perfect and how much better they look with the extra rubber I like them now. still have nothing on a set of 15" flat black steels but that will never happen with this truck(damn brakes) I have been thinking about painting them black and keeping the silver lip. but i don't have the heart(yet) to paint the most expensive set of wheels iv ever had on a vehicle even if I didn't pay for them.

Last edited by the_ocho; 02-24-2011 at 04:55 AM.

Quick Reply: What the H#ll?!