3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Does A Front Suspension Kit Exist?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 10:30 AM
benjamin.covert
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does A Front Suspension Kit Exist?

Have no doubt in your mind, but I have looked and looked and searched and searched! I can't seem to find a "suspenstion" lift to level my truck. I want to avoid spacers due to some bad ball joint experiences in the past. I ended up dislocating 2 sets of lower ball joints on a 2003 1500, even after an alignment. Not too sure if anyone else has experienced this, but I sure did. I used Moog uppers and Moog greasable lowers on both sides. The combo worked for about 5000 miles. What did I do wrong? Too much angle on the UCA? How can I avoid it this time?

Old 02-27-2011, 10:48 AM
benjamin.covert

I spoke too soon. Just visited the Rancho home page and found what appears to be a coilover bolt in replacement. The product number is RS999793. It says I could clear 35's with minimal rubbing, but I know of a tire shop in Georgetown that keeps large tire sizes on hand for this very reason. It's like trying on shoes, except for your truck. At any rate, anyone used Rancho RS999793?

Old 02-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Razorhawg
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just did some digging on that part and i see you have a 4x4 but while also digging i also found that it only creates 1.25" of lift so squeezing 35s is doubtful

Old 02-27-2011, 12:01 PM
benjamin.covert

Yeah, I just saw that also. I think i am just going to do a 4" with longer UCA's. Of course, I have plenty of time to put together a parts list because I am in Afghanistan and won't be home until June! I got all the time in the world, unfortunately, the more I look, the more I want to start the damn build.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Rich 2500
Veteran

It's a little pricey, but you may want to take a look at these.

http://www.koreraceshop.com/dodge-ra...ies-06-08.aspx

Old 02-27-2011, 03:57 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I put a set of the Rancho "Quick Lifts" on a buddies '06 1500 4x4. I know they say 1.25" but it was way more. Not quite perfectly level but damn close. I wish I had measured the actual lift amount but didn't think of it at the time. He put on 35's that measured 34.6" and cleared them with no problem...

Old 03-01-2011, 06:09 PM
benjamin.covert

Ok, so I talked to a fella in Georgetown Tx that said he could machine a spacer for me that would bring the front end up about 3/4" on top of the quick lift. I went ahead and ordered Rancho 9000's for the rear, and the front kit already comes with 9000's. Because I don't use my truck for serious off road, I want to retain decent road manners. I ordered some 35x12.50's that measure 34.6 total and am going to keep the stock wheels. The only hurdle I have now is to make it home from this deployment and install it all.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:00 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

So your question was about finding a leveling kit that didn't use spacers due to the previous issues you have had with them, yet now your just purchasing spacers again?

I'm not too familiar with the half ton's IFS, so I can not give you much info about it. But, it seams to me that if you simply lift the front of the suspension with nothing but spacers you are going to get the A-arms, ball joints, and axle shafts operating slightly out of factory spec... thats all there is too it. Weather it is enough out of spec to cause issues is beyond me.

If I were you I would skip the spacers and buy a small "lift kit" that actually lowers the A-arms (or gives you new knuckles) and lowers the differential so you can get back to as close to factory spec as possible.

Oh, and be careful out there. And thanks for serving!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-02-2011, 07:36 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My big concerns would be vibration that MANY guys get with coil spacers on the '06-'08 coil over trucks. I am also quite sure Rancho wouldn't condone the use of spacers with their Quick Lift.
Finally, I am also quite sure if you were in an accident and your insurance company finds out you had spacers that were fabricated in there that they would deny any claims which could leave you high and dry.
I personally have seen someone get denied because they combined a suspension lift with a body lift. These were two commercially available kits, no custom fabricating done. It's commonly done, but NO suspension lift company condones the combination.
I thought it was a stretch because the lift had nothing to do with the guy's accident, but he appealed right on up to the state's insurance commission and lost.
Just some things to consider...

Quick Reply: Does A Front Suspension Kit Exist?