3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fan clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:41 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andrew67
I have checked it hot and cold and it free wheels about the same .
Sounds like that's your answer. If you can afford it the Flex-A-Lite, or have the "junk-yard" know-how like Weed, it's time for an e-fan. I think you'll find a clutch will cost about the same as the junk-yard route.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:37 PM
BigHorn777
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weeds, I see they (flex-a-lite) claim a Hp increase, gas mileage increase, and increased performance of the air conditioner. Is all or any of this true, if so what did you notice by installing you electric fan?
Oh does it effect the battery at all when it turns on? Thanks man.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:56 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

The e-fan won't help the A/C - it's on a different fan. Any e-fan will improve the off-the-line response, due to no hp drag from the mechanical fan. As to how much, quien sabe'?

If the fan is set to remain on after engine shut-down, it will certainly affect the battery. Mine is off if the engine is off, just as it would be with the belt-driven fan.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:22 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

To check a fan clutch for seizure, simply flick the fan around and see how much it rotates. If its anything more than 1/4 turn or if it wobbles then it's bad. If you cant turn it at all it is also bad. If you tow a lot I would HIGHLY suggest keeping the clutch fan setup.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:33 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
To check a fan clutch for seizure, simply flick the fan around and see how much it rotates. If its anything more than 1/4 turn or if it wobbles then it's bad. If you cant turn it at all it is also bad. If you tow a lot I would HIGHLY suggest keeping the clutch fan setup.
just curious.. why do you suggest keeping a clutch fan if towing a lot?

Old 03-04-2011, 12:09 AM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Simply because nothing is as durable as a clutch fan. If an electric fan breaks it stops moving air, but if a clutch fan seizes up then it keeps blowing air. Besides, nothing will move as much air as the clutch fan.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:22 AM
chefred112
All Star

I run a $25 Taurus fan as well...tow my boat with it too...BUT, I do keep my clutch fan in the bed like a spare tire...I think i used it once, turned out to be a wiring issue, once fixed, has worked for over 100k miles...

Old 03-04-2011, 12:32 AM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

My only concern is that I am unsure if I can get the fan to turn on automatically. How is it done?

Old 03-04-2011, 12:54 AM
chefred112
All Star

it's run off a fan controller..on mine I can set it to come on from 167 degrees and various points up to 210 degrees (I set mine for 174 I think)...I also have it wired so that it is always on at 10 percent when the controller hasn't kicked in..this tells me the fan is always working.. and to top it off, I have it wired to a lighted manual switch in the cab so i can turn it off all the way when not needed (like at the track)

Old 03-04-2011, 06:44 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
My only concern is that I am unsure if I can get the fan to turn on automatically. How is it done?
As Fred said, you need a fan controller. There is a nice dual speed Hayden on DT for sale right now for $30.

You can wire it to run only when the key is on or when the key is off. I have mine wired to run after the engine is off and continue to cool. There are pros and cons to each. I like to continue to cool mine down.

Originally Posted by BigHorn777
Weeds, I see they (flex-a-lite) claim a Hp increase, gas mileage increase, and increased performance of the air conditioner. Is all or any of this true, if so what did you notice by installing you electric fan?
Oh does it effect the battery at all when it turns on? Thanks man.
Any electric fan does this. The same goes for electric fuel pumps (older cars has them mounted on the side of the block) and electric water pumps. Ive seen one or two guys use electric water pumps on the Ram.

The overall idea behind any of it is the same. It is to reduce engine load basically. Its also know as parasitic drag on the engine. When guys race they usually remove their belt also so the engine doesnt have to turn the accessories.

Of course a electric fan does affect the battery but as i said above, you can run it two ways. I have two huge batteries so I dont worry about it.

As for how much power if frees? IDK. Im not paying $75 to hop on a dyno every time I do a mod. I know thats what you should do but that $75 adds up quick.

Quick Reply: fan clutch