3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fan clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:34 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No sir. There isn't a problem with that. It is a fact that nothing is as reliable or heavy duty as the factory clutch fan. If you want to think otherwise then more power to you. I've had electric fan setups in my recent vehicles but they were not configured for the most in class towing of their time. My Durango is so it has no electric fan besides the AC fan.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:48 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

In all honesty, you are making the efan install a lot more than what it is. You might just be better off replacing the clutch fan with another clutch fan and calling it a day

Old 03-08-2011, 01:02 PM
chefred112
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have to agree with Mike...When you want to get into performance modding, there are inherent risks involved. As much as I don't think I am a risk taker, I understand the potential issues that can happen with modding. This is why I've followed forums from day 1 of my ram purchase. I watch the other guys do the r & d mods, see the failures (if any), and see the performance results. The efan mod isn't something someone just thought of doing...this has been done over and over by a ton of guys over the years, we've seen some failures but we've also seen why they fail and not make that same mistake. I installed an efan on my truck in jan 06, that's over 5 years and around 175k miles ago. It failed on me once but that was my fault by how I wired it, once I used the correct guage it never failed on me again...and like a spare tire, I keep my clutch fan in the bed of my truck for insurance. An efan is not a big deal mod and shouldn't be treated as such...and like Mike says, if modding is a big deal and your afraid to do them because of reliability concerns..don't mod. BUT, unless you have the experience with it, don't offer up your opinion because people who are willing to mod will get steered the wrong way...I don't like giving out advice to anyone unless it's something I've had my hands on and experienced. perfect example is all the Cai debates..alot of guys throw up their opinions about the big dollar ones yet they haven't run them (bfi and vararam as an example)...if i believed them i would be running my stock intake at the track (because they said it's a 'performance' type intake anyways) and probably run over 2 seconds slower at the track. All in all, you have to keep your mind open to ideas and do the research from guys who have already paved the way...and not follow the marketing hype of some mfg's...I like to check how well a mod does by my track times, not dyno numbers (although nice to look at)...

Quick Reply: fan clutch