3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How do I fix a Magnaflow 16700 problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 12:58 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Welding stainless isn't a big deal, but I'll tell you guys who don't own welders that there is a setup for $50 at Lowes that uses Mapp gas (which is almost identical to Acetylene except it is as safe as water to handle, the only downside is it costs more). I carry this kit in my toolbox and find it's invaluable for small fixes where there is no electricity to get to my MIG or Stick welders.

Uses Mapp with O2 in exactly the same way you'd use Acetylene with O2, I wanna say that AC/O2 burns at like 3200* C and Mapp/O2 is like 2950* C, so about anything you can do with Acetelyne/O2 you can do with Mapp/O2. The Mapp kit comes with a small disposable bottle of each and replacements are about $7. You can pick up aluminum rods for brazing aluminum or brass rods for steel work. Brazing is still 80% as strong as a true weld (although you can weld with this setup as well as long as the steel ain't too thick as the tip supplied is fairly small). I've even used mine to cut thin sheet steel.

I use mine often and have repaired riding mowers, wrought iron railings and a slew of other things with it. PLUS if you brass braze your steel pipes, you can melt the brass off with a torch and the steel remains unchanged as steel has a MUCH higher melting point.

If you can solder, you can basically use this kit. Pick you one up and I bet you'll find a bunch of uses for it...

http://www.bernzomatic.com/PRODUCTS/...3/Default.aspx

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-27-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:49 PM
contractors Hemi
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Hammer for the info, this is going to be a great tool for fixes on the job site.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:24 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I went and bought a new rubber hanger that uses the Magnaflow tabs for about $5.00

Name:  IMG_0634.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  101.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0633.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  142.1 KB

It still moves some, but not near as bad as the Magnaflow rubber. I'm not welding my system since I sometimes put the stock stuff back on for various reasons and it only takes about 30 min to swap from one to the other.

Quick Reply: How do I fix a Magnaflow 16700 problem?