3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

radio kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default radio kill switch

Hooked up my new head unit, it had a brown "mute" wire so i hooked it to the brown wire on my wiring harness this caused my truyck to die after start up and display "no bus" in the instrument cluster. After unhooking this wire the truck runs fine.
Anybody know what causes this?
Just curious
05 ram hemi 4 speaker system

Old 03-09-2011, 02:07 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I looked through all the schematics and didnt see any brown wire in the OEM wiring. Was this a brown wire on the after market wiring harness you might have bought? What is the brown wire supposed to go to?

Do the key trick to do an IC test and see what codes you get. Did you check all your fuses?

Old 03-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya didn't check the oem harness wire colour
but the aftermarket wire harness has mute written on the brown one, and so does the hu harness

do you have a diagram of the oem harness, i might be able to figure it out by elimination

Old 03-11-2011, 11:31 AM
nussdawg395
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my buddies head unit and it had a brown mute wrie and if I recall it was used for muting the radio if there was a bluetooth or hands free dongle attached to the head unit or if your vehicle has built in hand free phone...dont know if it helps but I remember that's what it was for...

Old 03-11-2011, 02:22 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Marx
ya didn't check the oem harness wire colour
but the aftermarket wire harness has mute written on the brown one, and so does the hu harness

do you have a diagram of the oem harness, i might be able to figure it out by elimination
Here you go

LMK if you need a schematic

Quick Reply: radio kill switch