3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

steering hard to turn..

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 04:55 PM
hallpass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering hard to turn..

At low mph it is hard to turn the steering wheel.. when I start moving it isn't hard at all. I have looked and the power steering fluid wasn't at the fill line..

and it sat all night and there wasn't any leak or pool of anything under.

The truck is a 2002 dodge ram 1500 lifted 9" with 35's

any ideas?

Old 03-12-2011, 05:48 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Power steering pump or the rack. 9" of lift and 35" tires can be real hard on both...

Old 03-12-2011, 11:10 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you fill it to the full line? Is the fluid black? Is the pump noisy?

Old 03-22-2011, 09:51 AM
AeroRam
Rookie

I'm having the same problem with my 2004 Ram. I was gone for 3 months on a business trip. My roommate drove my truck once every two weeks or so and said the last time he drove it, three weeks ago, he had a hard time getting the wheel to turn at slow speeds. When I got home on Saturday night she started right up, but the power steering is totally non functional.

The power steering fluid is about 1/2 and inch below the max line which is where it has always been. There are no leaks in the engine compartment or puddles under the truck. I can hear the power steering pump making groaning noise that is similar to how it normally sounds when you turn the wheel all the way to the stops. There also seems to be a light shutter coming through the steering wheel.

Mine is a 2004 Hemi 2X4 QC with no suspension mods and regular sized tires.

Has anyone seen this before? Is the groaning and light shutter an indication that the pump is working and that the rack is somehow messed up? I kind of doubt it since I can turn the wheel using my own strength. This makes me think the power steering pump has gone bad. Has anyone ever replaced one of these themselves? How expensive and difficult was it? I am going to replace it myself but I'd like to know what to expect.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:07 PM
Peter Basinger
Default Stiff steering

I have an 06 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.7. I am having problems with the power steering. I have replaced the pump but it still whines and steers hard at low speed. Should I also replace the rack?

Quick Reply: steering hard to turn..