3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just got a 2006 Hemi 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I'd like to see a link to that post on the Flashpaq forum. I was invited to a product demo in '08 and saw dyno pulls with my own eyes and was provided the following BY Superchips on that day, just after the dyno runs:

Perf =27.7hp and 29.8ftlbs of torque at the rear wheels
Tow =22.3hp and 23.9ftlbs of torque at the rear wheels

edit: I just got a response back from SC, so I don't need the link. Yes, at least one forum guy on there says that the power numbers are the same as stock. Interesting... Now I'm wondering why they backed the tune down at some point over the last three years. Pre-detonation while pulling a heavy load? If the power numbers are the same as stock, then why the 91 octane mandate? Something don't add up here...

That is why I am going to make my trip next week, towing my 5,000 pound travel trailer 1,000 miles round-trip, with the stock tune. There is no sense in using 91 octane if I am not getting any more power over stock.

I brought my trailer home yesterday from storage. I live in the mountains and I have to go up a 6% grade for 8 miles. I usually have the Tow Tune programmed and 91 octane in the tank. Yesterday, I had 89 octane and stock tune. I crested the top of the last hill in second gear, manually held in second gear the whole way up the hill, and the accelerator pedal to the floor. This is exactly the same scenario as when I am on the flashpaq Tow Tune. I topped out at the same speed as I do on the Tow Tune. The only difference I noticed is that the truck maintained second gear all the way to the end. With the Tow Tune, on the last 500 yards to the crest of the hill, the transmission will many times downshift into first gear, wanting to build up r.p.m.s and speed I suppose.

The fellow, on the flashpaq forum, that works for Superchips stated that they recommend 91 octane with the Tow Tune to reduce any chances for pre-detonation since their programming reduces the torque management a little bit.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:55 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I use the 93 octane Predator tune for daily driving and towing. Does the job well for both and when not towing gets enough better mileage to save about $1.26 a tank full paying $.20 more a gallon for the 93 octane. This is with the MDS turned off.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:34 PM
flyrccg

Originally Posted by lxman1
I use the 93 octane Predator tune for daily driving and towing. Does the job well for both and when not towing gets enough better mileage to save about $1.26 a tank full paying $.20 more a gallon for the 93 octane. This is with the MDS turned off.
Wow, I wouldn't have expected that. I wonder if the fuel economy would be better (enough to make break even) buying 93 over 89 on a stock truck? There are a few placed around here that you can still buy ethanol free gas. That might help as well.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:48 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've always gotten enough of a gain on the performance tune with my Superchips to more than make up for the cost difference in the gas. I found that the most economical as far as cost per mile driven is the Perf Tune with 93 octane gas. I actually come out WAY behind running the economy tune with 87 octane gas...

Old 03-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

I just returned from my trip, 1,000 miles round-trip, pulling a 5,000 pound travel trailer. I have always used the Superchips flashpaq Tow Tune in the past but on this trip I was stock.

My observation:

I got the same fuel mileage. Around 8.0 to 8.3 m.p.g. (according to the overhead computer).
I saved money. Purchasing the factory 89 octane versus the Superchips recommendation for 91 octane with the Tow Tune.
The best part...I had better control of the transmission gearing. I was able to modulate the accelerator pedal to maintain 3rd gear (2005 without Electronic Range Select) for longer periods before the transmission kicked down to 2nd gear. Even after a downshift to 2nd I was able to get it back up to 3rd again and hold it for a while.

With the Superchips flashpaq I was not able to hold 3rd gear for very long. The slightest application of the accelerator would always force a 2nd gear downshift. I would end up pulling the whole grade, from the bottom, in 2nd gear. Manually shifted into second to prevent back and forth shifting between 2nd and 3rd. Without the flashpaq Tow Tune I was able to get 1/4 to halfway up a grade in 3rd before the transmission would downshift into 2nd.

From now on I will only use my flashpaq (#3815) for the 91 Performance and 87 Octane tunes. I really like how it performs. The MileageXS tune hurts my mileage and the Tow Tune is too aggressive with wanting to downshift the transmission and requires 91 octane.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:37 PM
dodge1hemi00
Veteran

I just got my sc and I love it

Quick Reply: Just got a 2006 Hemi 4x4