3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just got a 2006 Hemi 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:01 AM
flyrccg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a 2006 Hemi 4x4

Got rid of my 2001 318 and picked up a 2006 Hemi. Now I have a couple of questions.

1) How do I know which gear is in the rear end?
2) Which programmer is the best for this model, if any for my case?

I only ask this because of my last truck. I tow several times per year in the mountains (usually around 3-4k lbs.) and my last truck was a pig. I'm sure the bone stock Hemi will help me with that but is it enough? I plan on keeping it stock and want fuel economy when I'm not towing and when I am towing, I'd like to get up the hill without blowing the thing up. Torque down low is what I'm looking for, I guess. I hope I'm not asking to much out of this truck.

If the stock program is the best, that would be great, I'm not racing this thing or burning the tires.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:31 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Usually either a sticker in the glove box or a tag on the rear axle with gear ratio information.

For a straight canned tune on a truck that's not going to be heavily modded (cam, heads, etc.) it's tough to beat the Superchips. Comes with a towing tune which gives a pretty significant torque bump...

Old 03-13-2011, 10:38 AM
h3bubba79

go to the chrysler site at:

http://www.chrysler.com/webselfservi...m%28%27R%27%29

send them an email requesting the build sheet for your truck. i did and it had all the info i needed on my truck. took about a week for them to turn around the info to me.

as for a tuner i run the Diablo with the 93 Oct tune. i turned MDS off as well with it because it was annoying and i saw no difference in gas mileage. just make sure you put the truck in Tow/haul mode when towing. it's on the end of the shifter. pres it once and tow/haul mode is on, press it a second time and it will got to O/D off. press it a third time and you are back to normal.

Your truck should have plenty of *** to haul. i would recommend an aftermarket transmission cooler with an integrated fan to help cool it. and make sure your fluid is good and red. if not drain it and replace BOTH filters. you have two in there with the 545rfe transmission.

get the build sheet and go from there.

good luck

Old 03-13-2011, 02:29 PM
bamataco
Veteran

I have a 1500 an 07 with Super Chip and the tow tune works very well for me.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:16 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Agreed on everything. SC is going to best unless you are going to mod big and get into custom tuning.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:03 PM
flyrccg

A guy at a truck accessory store told me today that a throttle body spacer is the best bang for buck and the bully dog is better. Not sure he knew what he was talking about or not though. He said better throttle response and +2mpg or so for $150. Bully dog is $449

Old 03-16-2011, 12:09 AM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

The Superchips flashpaq Tow Tune, does not add any horsepower or torque, on the HEMI anyway. All the Tow Tune does is reduce the factory torque management and modifies the transmission shifting (firmness, shift r.p.m., etc.). This information is straight from a Superchips employee on the flashpaq forum.

For the last two years, and about ten trips, towing my 5,000 pound travel trailer I have always had the flahpaq (#3815) Tow Tune installed on my truck. Next week, I will be towing without the flashpaq tuning for the first time. I will be at stock tuning with 89 octane gasoline. The flashpaq tune requires 91 octane. I will see if there is much difference?

Old 03-16-2011, 01:03 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by flyrccg
A guy at a truck accessory store told me today that a throttle body spacer is the best bang for buck and the bully dog is better. Not sure he knew what he was talking about or not though. He said better throttle response and +2mpg or so for $150. Bully dog is $449
Find a new truck accessory store to shop at. Throttle body spacers have no place on a modern throttle body, they LOSE HP and do nothing for MPGs. Dyno proven and documented all over the place. It does produce a cool whistle sound though.

The Bully Dog rules the Cummins tuners but does very little for a Hemi.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:33 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by Powerubi Wacon
The Superchips flashpaq Tow Tune, does not add any horsepower or torque, on the HEMI anyway. All the Tow Tune does is reduce the factory torque management and modifies the transmission shifting (firmness, shift r.p.m., etc.). This information is straight from a Superchips employee on the flashpaq forum.

I'd like to see a link to that post on the Flashpaq forum. I was invited to a product demo in '08 and saw dyno pulls with my own eyes and was provided the following BY Superchips on that day, just after the dyno runs:

Perf =27.7hp and 29.8ftlbs of torque at the rear wheels
Tow =22.3hp and 23.9ftlbs of torque at the rear wheels

edit: I just got a response back from SC, so I don't need the link. Yes, at least one forum guy on there says that the power numbers are the same as stock. Interesting... Now I'm wondering why they backed the tune down at some point over the last three years. Pre-detonation while pulling a heavy load? If the power numbers are the same as stock, then why the 91 octane mandate? Something don't add up here...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 03-16-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:07 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since my transmission shift points can't be changed I wonder what the towing tune would do on my 03? I've never used it -- I towed 6k lbs with the performance tune with no problems. I always use 93 octane though and I think the tuner only requires 91.

Quick Reply: Just got a 2006 Hemi 4x4