3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Halo projectors.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Ethan_05_24
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halo projectors.

So I finally got them in yesterday, they were the last of a few mods I was waiting on, and me and my dad started working on them today but somehting went wrong somewhere...we wired them up like we thought we were supposed to but the lights alternate/won't come on. When whe turn on the high beams they don't come on and the LEDs go out. when we turn them off the LED's switch side on which ones come on.....

We have the White wires together on the driver's side spliced into the White/Blue wire and the blacks spliced into the black wire.

On the passenger's side, we have the white wires from the LED/Halos spliced into the White/Green wire(why are they different?) and the blacks spliced into the black wire.

And both the harnesses are plugged in right, and the high beams won't work...

They refuse to work right and it's really frustrating considering how much I spent on them....any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Ethan_05_24
Veteran

Anyone?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:02 PM
CaliDodgeRam
Veteran

Pictures would help big time man! I'm a little confused but it sounds like you don't have them wired into the right positive source.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:59 AM
Ethan_05_24
Veteran

I can do pics of the back of the lights, but that's about it. I brought the headlights back in the house and will try again tomorrow. If you guys see the back of the lights I can explain what we did a little better I guess.

Hope someone can figure out my problem
Front:

Back:

These are the female connectors:

These are the same as the quick connectors that came with it, but mine are blue (doesn't matter) and the wires I'm showing are just an example, NOT MY headlight wires:

The wires on the harness are color coded weird:
Driver's side:
there are White/Blue
Black
and White/Red

and Passenger's side:
White/Green
White/Brown
Black

we tested the lights with different color cables, for the driver's side the White/Blue had power and the passenger's side White/Green had power. So that was how we wired it...if I'm wrong PLEASE let me know and help me fix it. From the top of the socket on the driver's side, Black is on the right, White/blue in the middle, White/Yellow is on the left. Passenger's side, Black is right, White/Green is middle, White/Brown is left.

I don't know if that will help. The lights came with "quick connectors" that take a piece of wire and the stock harness wire and "connect" them together by basically pinching them together with a small metal plate. There is one on the positive wire and ground wire with short pieces of wire with the male spade connectors on the other side on both headlights. I don't know what the problem is, because the stock headlights still work perfectly normal.

Last edited by Ethan_05_24; 03-16-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:34 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Im going to move this over the technical section since you are having tech related issues.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a 9volt battery and you can test the wires on your lights, sounds like you have a short (grounding out) somewhere
Also make sure thoses connectors are cutting the wire insulation and making a good connection, i usually take a knife and cut the insulation so the connector doesn't have too
I'm on my phone so the pics are small i'll have another look when i get home good luck

Old 03-16-2011, 11:41 AM
slimvela
Professional

Well, first I would ditch all the crimp style connectors, I usually solder or use waterproof twist-locks. Get a multimeter to confirm hi & lo beam hot wires from stock harness, mark them. Masking tape is your friend. That should be straight forward, the new lamps just split the harness for separate hi/lo bulbs.

This is where it gets tricky, you can wire it all up as you wish in terms of halo rings and LEDs. After we got the headlamps running my neighbor decided he wanted the LEDs as daytime running and halos on with headlamps. So we 'tapped' the rings into the hi/low harness and the leads into the 'switched' power port.

Hope that helps some, I really think you got connection issues. But without it right in my driveway it's hard to troubleshoot.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Ethan_05_24
Veteran

I finally got all the lights to work properly EXCEPT for the High Beams, so if anyone can explain why, the harness is correct obviously plugged into the only plug there is and the Halos/LEDs are spliced through the parking lights, and work like a charm now, but the bulbs on the inside closer to the grille won't come on no matter what and there are bulbs in there with wiring going into the stock harness...sooo I don't know but I'm not too worried about High Beams because I rarely use them, but any help would be great!

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ml#post2449430

There are pics of the lights in that thread /\

Quick Reply: Halo projectors.