3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Noise when going up hill

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:41 AM
BWhelan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise when going up hill

Hello Ram Gurus.

I'm hoping someone could shed some light on an issue that I've just noticed. (Not sure how long it's been there, but I think it's new)

When I'm going up a steep incline in my ram, it will occasionally jump up rmps and drop and jump up and drop back to normal. It will only do this if I'm cruising up the hill at a constant speed. If I give it a little gas to change the gear it's fine.

When the RPMs jump I'm hearing a very quiet sound (that I believe is coming from the back end) which my g/f says it sounds like a rattle but honestly, the first thing I can think of when I hear the sound is the rattling/knocking noise of of diesel engine, just much much quieter.

My thoughts are some type of sensor could be gone and the truck is unsure if it should be changing gears or not. i honestly don’t know.

Before I brought it to any Stealership I would love your input.

Thanks all.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:11 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

What year truck? Try pushing the Tow/Haul button to turn it off and see if that helps

Old 03-22-2011, 09:16 AM
BWhelan
Professional

My bad, it's an 07 4.7l SLT Reg Cab. (With a Superchip tune)

I don't think this issue is due to the tune as I didn't make any adjustments to the gear changing. I only loaded the standard 87 tune.

weedahoe, thanks, I'll give that I try this evening on my way home from work.

If is does fix it, what are your thoughts?

Old 03-22-2011, 09:19 PM
BWhelan
Professional

Ok, so I drove up and down a bunch of hills this evening and it seems to me that it only does it in normal drive. Anytime I put it in "tow" it wouldn't make the sound.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:19 PM
BWhelan
Professional

Any idea?

Old 03-23-2011, 09:50 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Sounds like the MDS is kicking on and off. As the engine gets to a point where it is cruising and not a lot of engine load, MDS kicks on and deactivates 4 of the 8 cylinders. But when it does and going uphill the PCM detects it needs those other four to keep making it uphill so it kicks MDS off and this keeps happening back and forth over and over. So it is normal per se` but a PITA. Lots of guys complain about MDS and how it works

Old 03-23-2011, 01:48 PM
BWhelan
Professional

That's stupid, but sounds like nothing I should have to worry about? (Which is good news)

Is this something that I should be able to adjust with my Tuner? Maybe adjustment of gear changes?

Old 03-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Sounds like the MDS is kicking on and off. As the engine gets to a point where it is cruising and not a lot of engine load, MDS kicks on and deactivates 4 of the 8 cylinders. But when it does and going uphill the PCM detects it needs those other four to keep making it uphill so it kicks MDS off and this keeps happening back and forth over and over. So it is normal per se` but a PITA. Lots of guys complain about MDS and how it works
He's got a 4.7L, no mds?

Old 03-23-2011, 04:54 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Uh oh, youre right! I missed that 4.7 part. No MDS on a 4.7 so that cant be it. Back to square one.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:05 PM
BWhelan
Professional

I need to test this theory out more, but it seems to only do it when the RPMs drop really low going up hill.

Last edited by BWhelan; 03-23-2011 at 10:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Noise when going up hill