3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06-08 EVIC query

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:39 PM
ateyate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More info

Thanks for the reply Brandon. I have an ST Model truck, the molex connector is in there, and as you mentioned it has very few wires for the amount of slots there are. Hopefully this is what you meant. As for the overhead, no there isn't one in my truck at all, there is just a dome light that is pretty much in the centre of the roof. I would much rather have the overhead for sure. Now I will start looking at the yards and see if I can find the unit. I am surprised at how much information is in these forums. Very good info! Thanks for being so welcoming!

Old 04-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by ateyate
Thanks for the reply Brandon. I have an ST Model truck, the molex connector is in there, and as you mentioned it has very few wires for the amount of slots there are. Hopefully this is what you meant. As for the overhead, no there isn't one in my truck at all, there is just a dome light that is pretty much in the centre of the roof. I would much rather have the overhead for sure. Now I will start looking at the yards and see if I can find the unit. I am surprised at how much information is in these forums. Very good info! Thanks for being so welcoming!
Yep, that's what I meant. Finding the assembly should not be too difficult, as most RAMs '06+ at least had the OTIS unit. It's all the same parts, whether it was equipped with OTIS or EVIC, and keep in mind that the 2500 and 3500 from the same years shared these same parts as well.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:22 PM
ColinP

What a bummer. I installed PN 56046038AC and an alternate PN 56046107AB on my '06 2500 CTD and the EVIC would not work. Whats weird is both these numbers are listed to work for a 2007+ Ram, but not a 2006.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:53 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by ColinP
What a bummer. I installed PN 56046038AC and an alternate PN 56046107AB on my '06 2500 CTD and the EVIC would not work. Whats weird is both these numbers are listed to work for a 2007+ Ram, but not a 2006.
**edited to remove invalid info**
It seems there is conflicting info regarding the '06 CTD and whether it uses CANBUS or the PCI bus.
More info is required, please check your PMs.

Last edited by Brandon Anderson; 05-30-2012 at 04:02 AM. Reason: incorrect information
Old 05-30-2012, 04:17 PM
ColinP

The '06 2500 diesel definitely uses a CAN bus system. The EVIC I installed is definitely getting power, but I believe it's not receiving a signal to turn on. Perhaps the issue lies with the main controller.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

If your OTIS worked fine and you used either of the part numbers you mentioned, I'd first check that the EVIC is functioning properly. Unlikely they were both bad units, but possible. Run the self-check I posted here. Another thing to check out is whether the Aspen is HI or LO speed CANBUS. The RAM up to and including '08 was LO speed.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:01 PM
ColinP

The EVIC tested OK on the donor vehicle, but will not even enter into self-test mode in my '06 truck. It's just sitting there waiting for the "power ON" message from the TIPM but the message never comes. I suppose I could have the TIPM reprogrammed to tell the EVIC to turn on but I doubt I can find somebody who knows how to do that. I could try swapping in a TIPM from an 07+ but I don't want to open up a can of worms with that experiment.

I've also noticed the EVIC has 6 pins, but only 4 are used. I might explore the possibility of getting the EVIC to turn on by grounding or adding current to the unused pins. My suspicion is that this EVIC will communicate but it's just not powering up.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

I can't remember exactly, but I think my overhead harness only used 4 pins as well. Looking at the picture I posted earlier in this thread looks like 4 wires. Have you tried resetting your ECU (battery pull) after installing the EVIC, but before powering it on? Since the CANBUS OTIS and EVIC is nothing but a display unit for the TIPM/ECU, if the OTIS works, so should the EVIC. Just need to find the missing link here.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:35 PM
ColinP

OK I took a look at the board inside the EVIC, and pins 1 and 5 are both grounded. I can't tell what pin 6 does. I'll have to get my hands on a plug first so I can start playing with it.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:22 AM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, and I'm hoping there's still someone that can answer my question. I have an 06 Ram 1500 with the OTIS, and I want the EVIC. Do all of the setup functions work? such as accessory delay, courtesy lights, etc? Do you know if using the Durango EVIC will work in my particular truck?

Joshua

Quick Reply: 06-08 EVIC query