3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06-08 EVIC query

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:19 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
So I woke up a little earlier than normal today, and to my surprise, my EVIC was waiting on my front porch! Let me tell you, if this mod were any easier, it would be programming your truck with the SC LoL

First things first, you can see that the EVIC has a slightly different body than the OTIS, but this is not an issue. The overhead plastics in the RAM have the proper mounting holes for both. The only difference that makes any sense to mention, is that the OTIS plugs in at the top, while the EVIC plugs in at the bottom. This is still not an issue, as there was plenty of wire going to the harness, folded up neatly with electrical tape. Cut the tape, and you get more than enough length to reach the EVIC's plug. The truck was obviously wired for this unit.

Here you can see how the unit plugs in opposite the lights. This is where the extra length of wire comes into play.

Turned it on, and everything instantly just worked, exactly as I had hoped!

I have but one complaint, and it's a small one, but a complaint nonetheless. The display is not as bright as the OTIS was. This is to be expected, as the OTIS is segmented LCD (like a cheap calculator) and the EVIC is dot matrix. It is not a huge difference, but it was the very first thing that I noticed. In very bright sunlight, the unit is more difficult to read. Other than that, I couldn't be more pleased. I even have the homelink connected to my garage door already LoL

I am not going to presume anything, but here is what I know FOR SURE:
The part numbers listed in the official parts PDF for '08 do NOT list an EVIC unit. Parts 56044864AC and 56049824AC are OTIS units with and without homelink, respectively.

If your '06-08 RAM has an OTIS unit, you can swap in a compatible EVIC unit without any modification.

Part number 56046038AC is an EVIC from an '07 Durango, and it works.

I do not know if there are other EVIC units that will work, but if you want to presume that a unit from a Dodge vehicle using the CANbus system will swap in, I would say that would be a safe bet.

Lastly, all of my information came up exactly as it appeared on my OTIS. MPG, trip, etc. I do not know if the EVIC is what calculates MPG, but I am assuming that it is NOT. However, if it does, and if the Durango had a different sized gas tank, then my DTE would be off. I won't know if this is the case for awhile, but I think the ECU does the calculation, and the OTIS/EVIC simply displays the information for the user.

Any other questions, just let me know, and I'll do my best to answer them.

**edit**
Mods, can you kindly mark this thread as SOLVED? Thank you.

So you ordered the P#: 56046038AC and put it in... correct?

You might want to write-up a little how-to/FAQ write-up for this and get it put in the DIY/How-To Section... I am definitely thinking about doing this in my 08 1500 as well.

Might want to note that this little part is like $300+

Attached Thumbnails 06-08 EVIC query-imag0169.jpg  

Last edited by Izero; 01-29-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Izero
So you ordered the P#: 56046038AC and put it in... correct?

Might want to note that this little part is like $300+
That is correct. Was pulled out of a totaled Durango.

I don't know how much they are new ($300+ sounds about right), but the used one I bought on ebay was about $100 after shipping if I remember correctly.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Izero
Champion

That is correct. Was pulled out of a totaled Durango.

I don't know how much they are new ($300+ sounds about right), but the used one I bought on ebay was about $100 after shipping if I remember correctly.

What did you search on Ebay? I can't seem to find much....

Old 02-05-2013, 09:59 AM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

I'm wondering if this same part number will work in a 2006. I'd really like to do this swap in my truck, but can't seem to find much information on people doing this on an 06, or modules that might be compatible.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by Izero
What did you search on Ebay? I can't seem to find much....
56046038AC

Old 02-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by JoshuaAckley
I'm wondering if this same part number will work in a 2006. I'd really like to do this swap in my truck, but can't seem to find much information on people doing this on an 06, or modules that might be compatible.
2006-2008 1500 used the exact same CANBUS system.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Izero
Champion

I think I mistyped the part # in ebay... hahahaha

Old 02-06-2013, 10:56 AM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

So in theory, this part number should work? (I've been looking at this same console for the last several days!) I just don't want to waste money buying it, and it end up not working .

Also, I should be able to use my existing console housing, and just replace the module, right? I don't have a sunroof, and I don't have any need for that sun roof switch. I'm wondering also, if there is a compatible overhead housing that has the sunglasses pocket. That would be pretty handy.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:27 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

So in theory, this part number should work? (I've been looking at this same console for the last several days!) I just don't want to waste money buying it, and it end up not working .
I'd be willing to say that, yes, it would work.

Also, I should be able to use my existing console housing, and just replace the module, right? I don't have a sunroof, and I don't have any need for that sun roof switch.
You have to use the housing that goes around your OTIS. The Durango housing does not fit the RAM.

I'm wondering also, if there is a compatible overhead housing that has the sunglasses pocket. That would be pretty handy.
Would certainly be nice, but no.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:10 AM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

I'd be willing to say that, yes, it would work.

You have to use the housing that goes around your OTIS. The Durango housing does not fit the RAM.

Would certainly be nice, but no.

Okay, great. Part number 56046038AC ordered and shipped. Paid $74 with shipping. I didn't really want to use the durango housing, as it has that sunroof switch on it anyway, so that works out great. I took it apart today, and took a look inside, shouldn't take more than a few minutes. My wife didn't understand me wanting one, views it as a want. I told her it was more of a need, lol. Guess I can deal with the sun visor sunglasses holder until I can figure something else out, haha. Also, when I took it apart, I noticed a few things that looked kind of weird on the display. My stock OTIS has the house symbol with the three dots for homelink below it, the words eco, and some other stuff. I'm wondering if this stock unit isn't capable of doing the things that the evic does with maybe a flash? Perhaps someone should look into that.

Attached Thumbnails 06-08 EVIC query-2013-02-07-14.46.30.jpg  

Quick Reply: 06-08 EVIC query