3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Drivetrain issues - A Quiz!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Blacksport
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, what was it?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:44 PM
MOPARBAR
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Answer IS,
Carrier Bearings in the front differential are toast. Ring and pinion, carrier, caps, are all toast. The sound I was hearing was the gear mesh going and the metal against metal was the carrier rubbing agaist the caps. The truck stopped after that pinion stopped making contact with the ring. $700-$900 to repair......

For those of us with an AWD front differential, if you lose anything in the front end (ie, R&P, CV joint, etc) all of the trucks power will go to the front end and your truck will NOT move unless you go into 4wd. The trasfer case acts like an open differential when in AWD. The sound I was hearing was the pinion gear in the front end grinding against the ring gear. The shop was convinced I either had a worn fork in the transfer case or had completely shredded the inside from impropper lubrication. They took off the case, popped it open and found nothing, then dropped the tranny pan and found nothing. Then then popped the front diff and found bad bad gnarley stuff going on. I'll post a couple pics tonight.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain issues - A Quiz!!