3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Other Height Adjustable Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:16 AM
truegent81
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other Height Adjustable Shocks

i never really paid any attention to shocks in general but since i've had my truck for almost a year, and i recently got a settlement (i use to be on the 2nd gen but truck was totaled last yr by DUI) i would love to level the ride. i want to keep the 17s but get the largest possible tire to fill up some space and for looks. so i figured why not level it and get 4 new aftermarket shocks with the same process. i have read a lot of good reviews about these types of shocks.

I've googled a few brands of shocks and off-road suspension parts, but can't seem to find a specific shock that will fit the 03 ram 4x4. i was real excited when i read an earlier post about bilstein 5100 and how they basically leveled the front end...but not for my truck!

IIRC hammer has some ride height adustable but didn't catch the brand. if yall could throw out some brands that maybe i've missed, that are adjustable for my year i would greatly appreciate it. i would love to get new shocks that level out the ride. i was all about using the hellbent spacers prior to discovering the 5100 but now i feel that to be a ..."poor" way to lift the truck. thanks again

Old 04-13-2011, 07:55 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Leveling shocks do so by virtue of replacing the factory strut in a coil-over system. Your '03 utilizes a torsion bar front suspension and not a coil-over. Therefor, these types of level systems would not work for you.

Your options are a simple (and free) key bolt crank or purchasing a set of leveling keys. Shocks would have to be purchased separately...

Old 04-13-2011, 09:31 AM
truegent81
Captain

Thanks. My next question is, which method puts more stress on the front end? Cranking or installing level keys. I would say they both have the same affect.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:47 AM
truegent81
Captain

I was reading some articles on keys and they said installing these does not put the same stress on the bars as cranking them. Seems odd to say. The next is, I've only seen 2" keys and they say increasing the space in between the bolt and key a 1/4" equals an inch in height. So then technically could I raise it up another 1/8" to get 2.5" in height?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:04 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

We have a GA get together coming up next month if you are interested BTW

Old 04-13-2011, 03:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I have read time and again that keys put less stress on the front end. I don't see how. They both raise the front end by exerting force on the torsion bar. Lift amount, raised CV angle, etc. would be the same whether you cranked the existing bolts 2" or put 2" keys in it.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:39 PM
bgbluram2
All Star

I've always wondered about that for the 4x4 guys... What you describe hammer makes perfect sense to me.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:35 PM
truegent81
Captain

This is a little off topic from this thread but I got a coupon in the mail and wanted to know if it is a worthy deal. It's from brakes plus and it says buy 2 get 2 free. This is in reference to Monroe shocks and struts. Is this a good deal? Also if I am leveling my truck how do I know what shock to get that will fit correctly? Thanks.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:07 PM
truegent81
Captain

are monroe shocks good? better than any other brands such as rancho, bilstein, etc?

can i go ahead and get shocks for a leveled front end without the end being leveled yet? i haven't leveled the front but was thinking bout getting 4 new shocks before i did. what would i tell brakes plus as far as the length of the shock that needs to go on the front since they don't need to be stock length. thanks

Old 04-18-2011, 11:21 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Monroe's shocks are made by Tenneco, the same company who makes Rancho shocks (and almost all of those generic, white shocks with stickers on them from many off-road and lift companies).

As far as putting a longer shock on before the level you really need to be careful, if the shock is too long it will slam when the front of your truck comes down, like in a dip or pothole. Seen some slam so hard they broke the windshield just on crappy streets...

Quick Reply: Other Height Adjustable Shocks