3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 05:46 AM
epdog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was doing the exact same thing. I replaced the switch and the egr valve while I was at it.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:20 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Your oil problem sounds like a sending unit to me as well. That's a simple easy fix(if that's truley the problem)
Look just above your oil filter on the front pass corner of the engine and you'll see the sensor. NOT the one in the head as that's the coolant temp sensor.

E3 Spark plugs...Overpriced fancy unneeded plugs. I'm pretty sure even these are copper. So, you basically paid $100 for some fancy copper plugs that will need to be changed out in 30kmi as well. You might make it to 40 or 50kmi if they have burned much cleaner than OEM originals but since the tune plays a role in that, I doubt that would be the case. The whole Engineering idea behind E3 is to get a clean direct spark wave. Unfortunately, it makes practically zero difference in most automobiles because an explosion in the combustion chamber nees an ignite, it doesn't matter what type of wave form it is.
Plus, being that we have 2 plugs per cylinder, the E3 is suppose to burn a little cleaner because of the design, well, we already have 2 plugs per cylinder for efficiency.

Gas mileage. Don't even waste your money trying to achieve better gas mileage. Sure you'll gain maybe 2mpg but you'll need to spend $1k+ to get there, plus alot of install work to boot. This means your 2mpg savings is basically paid up front for the rest of your vehicle purchase. Say you only spend $1000 to save 2mpg even at a ridiculous $4/gallon saves you $12.80 per tank filling up with 24gallons and paying $96 (24gal*$4/gal) 1000/12.80=79 tankfuls. That's $7600 in fuel just to get your money back BEFORE you begin "saving".
It's much cheaper to go and buy a small car. That will net you profit after just your first year as compared to right now with your truck, plus you'll save the wear/tear on your truck.
It might even be cheaper to finance a small car and let your truck sit there than if you just drove your truck as normal! Even if your still paying monthly payments on your truck. $10k car costs ~$200/month(5yrs) and you'll spend $200/month in gas. I'm sure you spend atleast $400/mo in gas for your pig truck? That's 1 tank per week at $4/gal.
Park it and finance a car. Even if it costs the same in the end, your buying yourself a FREE CAR!

Last edited by dirtydog; 04-24-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:52 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I was watching one of those performance TV shows just yesterday and in the product segment the two guys pushed Flowmaster mufflers, E3 Spark Plugs, The Tornado and Fram Oil Filters. Talk about selling out for the almighty advertising dollar!!!

Old 04-24-2011, 11:13 AM
KrisKountry

I replaced them at about 82k miles and am now at 99k I don't know how much longer I'm gonna keep it. I have noticed at times it feels like it's idling rough, almost as if its not getting enough spark, along the same lines as when (before the plugs were changed) I would get misfires. The times I notice it now though are minuscule compared to that though. I never imagined it would by my expensive *** plugs. I don't mind spending a little money here and there to help improve mileage/performance/problems. After reading that a CAI will hurt mileage without the addition of a few more mods including exhaust. Maybe I will maybe I won't, I really want a newer diesel powered ram, preferably the 5.9 in a megacab version. Unfortunately the longer I wait the more scarce those become.....

Old 04-25-2011, 12:34 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Again, on the oil pressure issue, most guys find it to be the sensor. Ive never seen anyone with an actual pump failure

Old 04-25-2011, 09:26 PM
KrisKountry

I appreciate all the feedback, I am going to replace the sensor since that seems like that is the cheapest, most practical solution if it works. Hopefully it does. I will prpbably be able to do it not this weekend but next. I will let y'all know my results. As far as the suggestion to buy and drive something smaller and let my truck sit, good idea but no thanks. I drive my truck because I love Dodge trucks, I wouldn't be happy driving anything else, even if it did save me a little gas $$. I have decided that as soon as I can I am going to upgrade to a Cummins equipped truck I don't care how expensive gas gets I will always be a Dodge Truck Man, and always choose to drive one as my daily driver.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:02 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I was watching one of those performance TV shows just yesterday and in the product segment the two guys pushed Flowmaster mufflers, E3 Spark Plugs, The Tornado and Fram Oil Filters. Talk about selling out for the almighty advertising dollar!!!
Wow 4 over-hyped, under performing products I will never buy!!!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:13 AM
KrisKountry

Definitely, I didn't notice any change after adding the E3's I did notice a little boost in power and efficiency after adding the high performance plug wires from Summit.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:11 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Certain things they say shouldn't be allowed. They completely and blatently lie all the time. Such and such uses this product....No they don't. Such and such uses a custom made to his specifications product while the product that is being advertised is a mass produced generic one. Just because they are manufacturerd by the same company doesn't treat them equal. It should be illegal just like it is for celebs to call out products they use when they really don't. It eliminates false gimmick advertising, but I suppose it's the only way certain auto suppliers can stay in business??

The main reason I can't stand watching those shows. It's like a couple of NON-mechanics who rent a garage and uproar stuff they don't even understand. They don't ever not sell anything. That's all they do and is their only purpose to be on TV.
Another show I had hopes for but fell flat on it's face...Top Gear... The show is all about selling/reviewing new cars and their performace and luxury items..wtf..The whole show is complete garbage and very boring.

sorry OP for jacking and ranting..lol

Last edited by dirtydog; 04-26-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Go_Green
Rookie

Hey guys. I just started having this pressure gauge problem too. It's happened twice...once Saturday, once yesterday. When it happened yesterday, I checked my oil and found that it was 1 - 1 1/2 qts low. On my last oil change (about 4K miles ago), I switched to Valvoline synthetic. The truck only has 45K miles on it, and it's never been low before so I don't check it too frequently. I've never seen any smoke or puddles. Should I switch back to dino oil? I have about two months left on the warranty but don't want to hassle with it if I don't need to. I'm going to change the sensor asap and it's due for an oil change so I'm going to do that as well. Thoughts on the disappearing oil?

Quick Reply: oil pressure problem