3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lowering Shackles

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 11:08 PM
TheZunk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lowering Shackles

New to the forum, first post. I have searched high and low for a pic based diy for rear shackles other than the GM one. I have a 2007 quad ram 1500 2wd and want to level the rear. I plan on using McGaughys #44002 2" shackles on factory rims/tires. Based upon the suspension exploded view in a LMC Truck catalog, it looks easy to do. Any input? Not sure how to move reply, realized I posted in the dakota forum. Sorry

Last edited by TheZunk; 10-24-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:30 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by TheZunk
New to the forum, first post. I have searched high and low for a pic based diy for rear shackles other than the GM one. I have a 2007 quad ram 1500 2wd and want to level the rear. I plan on using McGaughys #44002 2" shackles on factory rims/tires. Based upon the suspension exploded view in a LMC Truck catalog, it looks easy to do. Any input? Not sure how to move reply, realized I posted in the dakota forum. Sorry
what do you drive and I can get this to the proper sub section. But, the install is going to be pretty much the same on any leaf sprung rear end. The key is jacking up the rear end from the pumpkin and then loading/unloading the springs to get the bolts out.

Last edited by jkeaton; 10-25-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:26 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
what do you drive and I can get this to the proper sub section. But, the install is going to be pretty much the same on any leaf sprung rear end. The key is jacking up the rear end from the pumpkin and then loading/unloading the springs to get the bolts out.
Oh nevermind. Just re read your post.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:56 PM
TheZunk

Originally Posted by jkeaton
2007 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 2wd.. Thanks

Old 10-26-2011, 06:33 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

Check out this post in our DIY section, it's got some good pics and should be some help to your project.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...e-install.html

Old 10-26-2011, 11:39 PM
TheZunk

Originally Posted by Caseys-dodge
Check out this post in our DIY section, it's got some good pics and should be some help to your project.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...e-install.html
Sweet, thanks. Seems pretty straight forward for the rear shackles. What about removing the overload spring? Any info? Not sure where or which, or even how.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:05 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Yeah, the shackles are pretty easy to do, although the stock ones are already pretty dang short. They make a 2" lowering shackle for the '06+ RAMS?

I don't believe there is an overload spring on our 1500s, unless someone added an aftermarket one to yours.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:56 PM
TheZunk

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
Yeah, the shackles are pretty easy to do, although the stock ones are already pretty dang short. They make a 2" lowering shackle for the '06+ RAMS?

I don't believe there is an overload spring on our 1500s, unless someone added an aftermarket one to yours.
I looked on their site and found 2" shackles for the '02-'08 part# 44002 Hope I'm seeing what I think I see.....lol Not sure about the overload spring, maybe other users can add....?

Old 10-27-2011, 01:12 PM
TheZunk

Found some info on the overloads, not sure I wanna go there....

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...f-springs.html

Old 10-27-2011, 02:40 PM
bgbluram2
All Star

Yes there is a 2" drop shackle for our 06+ rams. I have them on my truck. Our 1500's also DO come with an overload spring which I removed to give an extra 3/4" drop in the rear. The truck is just about perfectly level. The shackle is very easy to do. All you need is a couple jack stands and a jack, 1/2" breaker bar to get the nuts loose, and an impact gun makes the job that much faster if you have one. Took me about 45 minutes to do the shackles. Removing the overload spring is a little more involved, but not too bad. Give yourself a couple of hours for that though.

Quick Reply: Lowering Shackles