3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Airbag questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 05:49 AM
Dave M
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at that truck for a long time before I bought it. I didn't like the color at first but it grew on me.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:50 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This is mine with a 700# ATV in the rear. Because of the toolbox, almost all of the weight of the ATV is rear of the axle, meaning damn near all of that 700# is basically tongue weight. 30# of air in the bags (capacity is 100#) keeps it pretty close to dead level.
Invest the $200 in the bags and use them in combination with the WD hitch, you won't regret it...

Name:  0430080937a-1.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  62.7 KB

and yes, before anybody says anything about the letters being backwards, the chicks camera I was using was accidently put into some "mirror image" mode...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 04-30-2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Dave M
Rookie
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Invest the $200 in the bags and use them in combination with the WD hitch, you won't regret it...

That's what I'm going to do. By using both I won't have to stress the WD hitch, the bags, or the truck. They can split the load.

Thanks to everyone for your replies and help!

Old 05-01-2011, 09:29 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
and yes, before anybody says anything about the letters being backwards, the chicks camera I was using was accidently put into some "mirror image" mode...
Sweet, so the whole truck and everything behind it is reversed as well. Just finished up lenses in Physics. Stuff is neat.
btw..check out your front fender if you were confused. The antenna is on the driverside front. That's because you shot this picture of the Passenger side. right?..haha

Old 05-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Bent
Veteran

IT looks like the United Kingdom version.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Dave M
Rookie

Well I got my airbags. I put in the Firestone 5,000lb set. Got them from a local store for $254. Installation was pretty easy. I tested them out today towing the trailer. I set up the WD hitch to 5 links showing. Back of the truck was down about 3" still. I inflated the air bags to about 55lbs. The trailer was loaded real heavy in the front. I had the load balance out with about 1500 lbs right on the rear, but I had to take that out. So there was about 2500lbs from the axle foward. I brought the truck up to where it was about 1" lower than it's unloaded height. Took it out for a drive and it rode great! Handled bumps with out any problems. The airbags stopped the trailer from rocking the truck up and down after going over a dip in the road. I felt like the steering was more responsive and it sounds crazy but it even felt like it breaked better. I was cranking the WD hitch up so that only four links were showing. I think that put a lot of stress on it. It would make all kinds of squeeling and popping noises when it did that. Now I have it at 5 links where it seems to be happy because it doesn't make any noise. Using it with the airbags is definetally the way to go.

Thank you all for your help and info. I feel much better about towing now.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:56 AM
HouseApe
Professional

I have Air Bags and a WD Hitch with the dual cam setup so I need some weight on it for it to work right.

What I do is use the air bags to bring the truck to within 1.5" of unloaded hight. I then use the WD to get it to within .5" of unloaded hight. Truck is almost level and the WD works great.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Blacksport
Captain

Hmmm...that might be the way for me to go as well. Forgive my ignorance, but aren't the bars on the WD hitch supposed to be level to the ground?

Old 06-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Dave M
Rookie

Originally Posted by Blacksport
Hmmm...that might be the way for me to go as well. Forgive my ignorance, but aren't the bars on the WD hitch supposed to be level to the ground?

I'm not sure, you may be right. If you are referring to the picture I posted I have the bars cranked up to 4 links. They say you are not supposed to do that, 5 links mininum. When I go to 5 links it does lower the bars so that they are just about level with the ground. With out the bags I had to go to 4 because it bought the rear down so far.

If your towing something heavy with a 1500 get the bags and bars. You will be very happy with that set up.

Quick Reply: Airbag questions