3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

starter issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 06:01 PM
2002dodgeguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter issues

i have a 02 dodge 2500 and i went to take the starter out and it wont seem to come off only found one bolt and a stud with a nut on it holding it on but didnt know if there are more that i might have overlooked or something but if not any suggestions on how to get it off would be much appricated

Old 04-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There should be two bolts holding in your starter, one at the bottom and one above the steel plate. Feel up in there, you'll find it.

Disconnect your negative battery lead BEFORE you remove your starter.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:19 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

And if you need it, you can download the Service Manual from the links in my signature

Welcome to the site BTW.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:40 AM
2002dodgeguy

ya for some reason the bottom bolt was a stud with a nut on it instead of a bolt and i double checked and made sure all of the bolts were off it and still i cant get the thing off, i have a parts truck thats the same as my rig and i took that starter off eazily, ive hit it with a hammer and tried to pry it off and even trier to put a block of wood under it and jack it up and that wont work, im running out of ideas on how to get the damn thing off

Old 04-28-2011, 08:18 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

From the 01 Srvc Man on page 511

REMOVAL

3.9L/5.2L/5.9L GASOLINE ENGINE

(1) Disconnect and isolate negative battery cable.
(2) Raise and support vehicle.
(3) Remove nut and lock washer securing starter motor to mounting stud (Fig. 9).
(4) While supporting starter motor, remove upper mounting bolt from starter motor.
(5) If equipped with automatic transmission, slide cooler tube bracket forward on tubes far enough for starter motor mounting flange to be removed from lower mounting stud.
(6) Move starter motor towards front of vehicle far enough for nose of starter pinion housing to clear housing. Always support starter motor during this process, do not let starter motor hang from wire harness.
(7) Tilt nose downwards and lower starter motor far enough to access and remove nut that secures battery positive cable wire harness connector eyelet to solenoid battery terminal stud. Do not let starter motor hang from wire harness.
(8) Remove battery positive cable wire harness connector eyelet from solenoid battery terminal stud.
(9) Disconnect battery positive cable wire harness connector from solenoid terminal connector receptacle.
(10) Remove starter motor.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any luck?

Old 04-29-2011, 01:37 AM
2002dodgeguy

no luck, I downloaded the service manual read it and double checked my truck and im positive i have all the bolts off, i talked to alot of people and none of them have had this probblem and ive never had this probblem before but im ogoing to have some free time on monday so im going to work with it and hopefully i can get it off if not off to a mechanic it is, all im trying to do is drop the tranny so i can put the one that i took out of my parts truck in it, who knew a starter could put up such a big hassle, but thanks for the help and the service manual itll probb come in handy on some other work on it.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:10 PM
2002dodgeguy

i finally got it! it was oxidized around the stud so it wouldnt come off finally after beating on it for awhile the tab around the stud broke and the starter just fell off but it is only good for a paperweight now, first time i ever seen one stuck on like that and hopefully the last!

Quick Reply: starter issues