3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

EVIC Installed w/ odd issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 08:08 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

have you looked on ebay for an 08 specific manual? 200 is alot and too much IMO

Old 05-03-2011, 10:47 AM
bmsgaffer86
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
have you looked on ebay for an 08 specific manual? 200 is alot and too much IMO
I bought the one I have (albeit for $5) from ebay that I thought was 2008 specific and it is word for word the same as your 06 version. The file even says DR2006-2008. The only ones on ebay are the print versions for $300+

Old 05-03-2011, 02:14 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, thats the thing to look out for on ebay as what say a range of years although there are small variations on the trucks from one year to the next.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:49 PM
bmsgaffer86

So I've taken it to a second dealership.

They seemed willing to work with me if I could find out what the 'option code' was for this thing. Which, there probably isnt one since it is not a dealer option, its either in from the factory or not.

Then they told me its not possible because I don't have the modules for it like the compass and the temperature sensor being a base model truck. I KNOW that I have the temp sensor (it shows on the odometer, and even works on the EVIC when plugged in), and the compass is built into the EVIC so thats BS.

Does anyone here have access to a starscan that can look under the ECU menu to see if you can turn this feature on? If i have instructions that someone can put down, they will do it.

P.S. Is there any functionality that a starscan has without a subscription to chrysler? I know i wont get full functionality, but if I buy one and am not a dealer would it even do ANYTHING?

Old 05-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Seems like a pretty big pain in the butt for what's basically the equivalent of plugging in a USB device. This may seem far-fetched, but have you tried resetting the ECU after installation? Maybe a "reboot" will force the computer to take stock of what's attached to it. Probably won't do anything, but it's free, so at least worth a try.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:14 PM
bmsgaffer86

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
Seems like a pretty big pain in the butt for what's basically the equivalent of plugging in a USB device. This may seem far-fetched, but have you tried resetting the ECU after installation? Maybe a "reboot" will force the computer to take stock of what's attached to it. Probably won't do anything, but it's free, so at least worth a try.
You are NOT kidding. It hurts to be an electrical engineer hindered by a well hidden computer.

I have disconnected the battery for 45 minutes, is there another way of 'hard resetting' the ECU?

I think you are right, it probably wont work. It IS like plugging in a USB device except that the bus is built specifically NOT to discover anything new and be plug and play. I take that back, it discovers it, but is told to ignore it until some big shot starscan says otherwise.

No one here has access to a starscan?

Old 05-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Kinda feels like Chrysler is taking programming queues from the likes of Apple... :P

Old 05-09-2011, 10:25 PM
bmsgaffer86

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
Kinda feels like Chrysler is taking programming queues from the likes of Apple... :P
Everyone was thinking it, I wasn't gonna say it

Old 05-10-2011, 09:00 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by bmsgaffer86
No one here has access to a starscan?
Starscans are dealership propreitary devices that costs thousands of dollars.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Rich 2500
Veteran

I have disconnected the battery for 45 minutes, is there another way of 'hard resetting' the ECU?
The most through way to reset everything is to disconnect the (+) battery cable and ground it to the (-) negative battery post for 30 seconds or so, that will reset everything, and force the PCM to the factory defaults.

Quick Reply: EVIC Installed w/ odd issues