3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Chrysler and Ford Employee Discounts For Everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 04:37 PM
gsxr150
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler and Ford Employee Discounts For Everyone!

Sorry guys-- I reposted this one.

Here is the article, and at the bottom I posted the link...

NewsFlash Home | More Michigan News

GM extends employee discount incentive; Ford matches
7/5/2005, 4:42 p.m. ET
By OLIVIA MUNOZ
The Associated Press

DETROIT (AP) — Ford Motor Co. announced Tuesday it will match a General Motors Corp. discount offer that allows customers to buy vehicles at its employee rate, following GM's announcement that it would extend the plan that made its sales jump by more than 41 percent in June.

GM has given the same discount it provides to employees to anyone buying most new GM cars or trucks since June 1. The promotion, which was set to expire Tuesday, will remain in effect until Aug. 1. It includes all 2005 GM vehicles except the Chevrolet Corvette, Pontiac GTO and GMC medium duty trucks.

"It's the summer selling season and that first month of the deal helped (GM) clear out a lot of their 2005 models," said analyst Ron Pinelli, president of Woodcliff Lake, N.J.-based Autodata Corp. "To continue with it just makes good sense."

Ford said Tuesday its "Ford Family Plan" will let all customers buy most of its 2005 models at the employee rate beginning Wednesday. The promotion excludes the Ford Mustang, GT and the Escape hybrid and also will run through Aug. 1.

"Consumers made it pretty clear in the month of June that they wanted a clear plan for purchasing their cars," said Ford spokesman David Reuter.

DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group had announced Friday its plan to also match the employee discount incentive starting Wednesday and running through Aug. 1. The plan excludes several models, including the Chrysler 300, the Dodge Viper and the Dodge Magnum, Chrysler spokesman Kevin McCormick said.

GM saw last month's sales soar to their highest monthly total in nearly 19 years thanks to the heavily promoted discount.

The world's largest automaker sold 550,829 vehicles last month, up from 374,970 in June 2004. That's a 41.3 percent increase after accounting for differences in the number of selling days between last June and this June, a sharp contrast from the single-digit growth the company has posted so far this year.

Almost all the growth came from light truck sales, which jumped 69.2 percent to 375,092 vehicles. The Colorado, Equinox, Tahoe and Trailblazer models posted some of the largest sales increases.

Ford said domestic sales fell 2.5 percent in June from a year ago and dropped 4.3 percent for the first six months of the year despite hits like the sporty Mustang and growing sales of its crossover vehicles.

Chrysler's sales were up 1.1 percent in June, but the company saw an 11 percent drop in demand for its popular Chrysler 300C sedan, and a 1.5 percent decline in overall car sales. Chrysler's total sales were up 5.2 percent for the first six months of the year.

Chrysler senior vice president of sales Gary Dilts said the automaker decided to match GM's offer because customers were attracted to its simplicity.

The discount's popularity came from a combination of aggressive marketing and the appeal of getting an inside deal, said David Cole, chairman of the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor.

"The general public views the employee discount as pretty good no matter what business you're in," he said.

The automotive industry also is looking at ways to cut down on large incentives, he said.

"Over the last few years car companies were raising prices to give bigger incentives. Now, they're moving toward more realistic pricing with reduced incentives," he said.

Still, Cole said offering an employee rate to all buyers is a bold step.

"This is a real bombshell. Rarely do we see this type of impact in such a short time," Cole said of GM's soaring June sales. But he warned that more sales now could mean fewer customers later.

In Tuesday trading on the New York Stock Exchange, shares of GM were up 15 cents to close at $34.80. Ford shares finished up 9 cents at $10.40, while DaimlerChrysler shares were down 38 cents to $40.10.

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/regio...t=newsmichigan

Old 07-05-2005, 05:33 PM
tommiwan
Professional
Default RE: Dodge Employee Discount

arg... I gotta sign up to read it? Can you just paste the article?

Old 07-05-2005, 08:53 PM
gsxr150
Rookie

There I changed the post name and attached the article....

Old 07-06-2005, 03:26 AM
HEMI_OFF_ROAD
Professional

I already bought my truck, I dont need another, got my truck for thousands below invoice before rebates and didnt need an employee plan to do it.

Old 07-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Boba Debt

I just bought an 05 and this pisses me off.

I wanted to trade it for a 3500 in a few years but now the trade and resell value will hit an all time low.

Old 07-06-2005, 03:11 PM
gsxr150
Rookie

I'm still in the market for a 1500, so I called my dealer again today. My salesperson was not in but I talked to another guy. He said the rebates so far are about the same as last month with the brand loyalty bonus. So of course the Ram was already discounted very deep.

He was hinting at some small changes in the next coupple of days for the better, on the Ram's. I guess they just threw up those numbers becuase the last rebates had expired.

Anyhow if you're looking for a new Dodge, wait a couple of days.

Old 07-06-2005, 03:28 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

I owe less than my ram is worth trade-in so I might just have to go look at them again... I wanted to get a diesel the last time but didnt feel the extra price was worth it, but maybe the price could be lower now with the rebates and the discount but I somehow doubt it. Just sucks that you cant get a diesel in a shortbed, even a single cab with the longbed wont fit in the new garage, too long. Still cant figure out why they make garages so damn short, especially here in Texas when at least 1 out of every 5 families here owns a truck and most are x-cabs or longer, GEEZ!

Old 07-06-2005, 04:12 PM
DonG
Veteran

I'm sure it will dramatically increase their sales since it sounds like a bargain. Also, it takes negotiating a good price out of the picture which some don't like to do.

Last year when rebates were $4500 - $5000 you could negotiate a better deal than you can now with the employee discount gimmick and $3000 in rebates.

Old 07-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Boba Debt

I don't understand your math.

According to the Dodge site the difference is $3,531 based on an MSRP of $25,525 and an employee price of $21,994

Add the $3,000 rebate and the $1,000 rebate for going through Chrysler Finance you end up with $7,531 in rebates before you even start to barter with the sales rep.

Old 07-06-2005, 05:19 PM
gsxr150
Rookie

Keep in mind these prices should be changing for the better over the weekend.

Also a question for anyone who might remember-- When the last change in the Ram came out, did they give any incentives to sell the truck still? Or did the rebates all go away? Who knows...maybe I'll still wait for the 06 in September.

Quick Reply: Chrysler and Ford Employee Discounts For Everyone!