3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust?

So im looking into an exhaust, just want to consult the experts first :P

So im hoping that I can get a little more performance as well as mileage out of my truck. I have an intake and a tuner, and from what I hear if you let these hemis breath it makes one heck of a truck!

Anyways there are no emissions laws here in alberta so I could loose that cat, if you think that it would be reasonable. I can pick up a catback dual at my local store, flow, cherry, you name it. I would love to go with a true dual...but I hear to much that you have to trick the system because of sensors or something...

Im thinking of coming out the side just behind the rear wheels with a dual tip...(just for looks)

Whats recommended!!!???

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-11-2011, 07:40 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd leave the cats, at least the idiot engineers who designed the thing realized that a Hemi is all about breathing and used some fairly high flowing cats in it.

No real sense in a true dual, I've been doing my own exhausts since I was 16 and have always met the pipes somewhere, whether it be with an "X", "Y" or "H" pipe or even just using a 2I/2O muffler to equalize the pulses.

Cat back would be fine, as for the muffler, depends on how loud you want it. Depending on the db level, just pick a good flowing muffler with a decent (over 450 CFM). For some CFM rates on various mufflers you can look here:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...mparisons.html

Old 05-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Nate769
All Star

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I'd leave the cats, at least the idiot engineers who designed the thing realized that a Hemi is all about breathing and used some fairly high flowing cats in it.

No real sense in a true dual, I've been doing my own exhausts since I was 16 and have always met the pipes somewhere, whether it be with an "X", "Y" or "H" pipe or even just using a 2I/2O muffler to equalize the pulses.

Cat back would be fine, as for the muffler, depends on how loud you want it. Depending on the db level, just pick a good flowing muffler with a decent (over 450 CFM). For some CFM rates on various mufflers you can look here:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...mparisons.html
Alright, I just know of some some people just pulling the cats and replacing them with just a strait pipe...

So im thinking all about airflow mostly. So which pipe am I looking at? I would think an X would be the best? I do like to have a relatively quiet cab, (other than the tunes!!!! :P) and I have heard lots about once MDS kicks in the louder exhausts sound like a semi brake! So I would like to avoid that...but if I could get something that when im on the throttle she roars pretty good and just cruising down the highway, has that mild tone, but not loud!

Old 05-11-2011, 08:10 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I had my cats off for a time (a short time) and put them back on, they flow better than most mufflers, so they offer no real restriction BUT their location closer to the exhaust manifold does help some with backpressure. I lost ALL low end torque with LT headers and no cats, so they went back on. Maybe with a regular exhaust manifold, yanking the cats is no big deal, since the stock manifold is fairly restricting.

As far as an "X" they work fine, but I think the best flow would be from a good, NON-CRIMPED "Y", like the Magnaflow that is all of about $25 and is stainless.

If I was even remotely thinking of any type of exhaust that would go higher flow and omit the resonator(s), I'd have me a tuner that can turn MDS OFF. Nobody is happy with the drone when MDS kicks in with a higher flowing aftermarket exhaust.
If you think you see better fuel economy with MDS, you'd be in the minority...

Old 05-11-2011, 08:14 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Anything louder than stock will make the MDS noticeable. I would recommend a Magnaflow. I have their cat-back. It does flow good and sounds nice. It will not give you much in the way of MPG's. You will gain a little higher rpm power from the better breathing. I have switched back and forth from the stock exhaust to the Magnaflow. The mpg's stay the same. I am averaging about 19 right now running 93 octane fuel and tune with the mds turned on with the stock exhaust. I haven't gotten around to putting it back on after diagnosing a bearing noise. We had over 30" of rain here in the last month. I usually turn off the MDS when I have the Magnaflow kit on. Since you have an 07, you should have a resonator before the muffler as well as one after the muffler. I would use the Magnaflow kit and leave the front resonator on. It will help reduce any drone in the cab, though mine has very little. I use the #16700 kit.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Nate769
All Star

My MDS is on more than 50% of my driving....its pretty flat land here so I will be leaving it on....I think in my location it does, but as soon as I hit hills ya sure it would be coming off...

You talk about Drone?

Quick Reply: Exhaust?