3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

H/o cams

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 10:06 PM
LifeByE30
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H/o cams

I’m going to be installing some here shortly. I took a trip to Mexico with a friend in his 4.8 Chevy and he left me.

that being said. Will my pcm adapt to them? Obviously a tune would be the ideal situation but if it’s absolutely necessary I can hold off on the install.

also here’s some progress pics.

How my truck looked when I got it. All I did was debated it.

Got rid of my awful wheels.

2/4.5 drop before it settled.

Settled 2/4.5 drop and oem 20s.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:36 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 216 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by LifeByE30
I’m going to be installing some here shortly. I took a trip to Mexico with a friend in his 4.8 Chevy and he left me.

that being said. Will my pcm adapt to them? Obviously a tune would be the ideal situation but if it’s absolutely necessary I can hold off on the install.
Shame you didn't get one a year newer....I commend you on actually finding a good condition set. Good news? They'll bolt right in and yes, the PCM will adapt to them but it probably won't run as nice as having a custom tune tailored to them, as well as the later intake manifold (flows better) to match. Bad news? You're probably still gonna get left lol. The 4.8 is just a better engine than the Mopar 4.7 performance wise; bigger bore (more room for valves), shorter stroke. You'd have to swap the later (08-13) heads on to get the flow you needed, along with either the HO cams or the 08-13 cams as well as intake swap and tuning. Stock 08-13 4.7's were rated 310hp. Stock 4.8 is 285hp so you're already behind the curve stock for stock. Considering the drastically better cylinder heads and any mods made to a 4.8 will net better results (and be light years cheaper).
If I were personally building this truck for your reason (naturally aspirated):
1. HO cams
2. 08-13 intake manifold
3. Gear swap, 4.7's respond well to 4.56's (gets that fat truck moving, just sucks for highway use)
4. Custom tuning
5. Headers (if anyone makes them) and a good exhaust system
6. Not sure if the Superchips trans tuning works with the PCM in this vehicle, but if so it help. Otherwise a shift kit and line booster.
airram.com will be your best friend with whatever you do; good luck!

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 08:04 PM
LifeByE30

Originally Posted by Magnoom
Shame you didn't get one a year newer....I commend you on actually finding a good condition set. Good news? They'll bolt right in and yes, the PCM will adapt to them but it probably won't run as nice as having a custom tune tailored to them, as well as the later intake manifold (flows better) to match. Bad news? You're probably still gonna get left lol. The 4.8 is just a better engine than the Mopar 4.7 performance wise; bigger bore (more room for valves), shorter stroke. You'd have to swap the later (08-13) heads on to get the flow you needed, along with either the HO cams or the 08-13 cams as well as intake swap and tuning. Stock 08-13 4.7's were rated 310hp. Stock 4.8 is 285hp so you're already behind the curve stock for stock. Considering the drastically better cylinder heads and any mods made to a 4.8 will net better results (and be light years cheaper).
If I were personally building this truck for your reason (naturally aspirated):
1. HO cams
2. 08-13 intake manifold
3. Gear swap, 4.7's respond well to 4.56's (gets that fat truck moving, just sucks for highway use)
4. Custom tuning
5. Headers (if anyone makes them) and a good exhaust system
6. Not sure if the Superchips trans tuning works with the PCM in this vehicle, but if so it help. Otherwise a shift kit and line booster.
airram.com will be your best friend with whatever you do; good luck!
well fortunately I have a manual transmission. I’ll probably do the cams and exhaust at the same time. I’m gonna eventually tune it too.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:18 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker

well fortunately I have a manual transmission. I’ll probably do the cams and exhaust at the same time. I’m gonna eventually tune it too.
Better, that will help stave off the driveline loss.Is your buddy's truck stock?

Old 02-19-2020, 05:20 PM
LifeByE30

Better, that will help stave off the driveline loss.Is your buddy's truck stock?
it has a stall and exhaust. It wasn’t that much better

Old 02-19-2020, 09:55 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker

Surprising he swapped converter without a cam...

Old 02-20-2020, 03:35 PM
LifeByE30

Surprising he swapped converter without a cam...
well it won’t be a 4.8 much longer. He just rebuilt the transmission and plans to go to 5.3.

Old 02-20-2020, 11:19 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker

well it won’t be a 4.8 much longer. He just rebuilt the transmission and plans to go to 5.3.
You gonna need boost or nitrous by that point lol

Old 02-21-2020, 01:32 PM
LifeByE30

You gonna need boost or nitrous by that point lol
lmao yeah it won’t be a race at that point. A co worker of ours has a mk3 Supra and they raced for some reason. He was blown out of the water. So hopefully that stalls his ego against me

Old 02-21-2020, 05:26 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker

My truck is quick, but I wanna go fast I hop in the SRT Charger lol

Quick Reply: H/o cams