3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no power steering when at idle need new pump.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Denniss66
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no power steering when at idle need new pump.

Hello everyone. I am having some slight troubles with my power steering i don't have any when at an idle i have to rev it up to turn and it makes it difficult backing in a trailer. i know my pump has been going for a while now cause it sounds like its supercharged when i step on it. this is the third power steering pump my truck has needed since i bought it with 83000km. first time it went was my fault then a week later the new one went so it got replaced under warrenty that was just after 110,000km now i have 220,000km and need a new one.

My question is what should i get for a power steering pump i heard even the aftermarket pumps for these trucks suck? Also i know my rack in pinion has a very small leak coming from the boot but i haven't had to add any oil to it at all should i leave the rack alone until it starts to become a problem cause i heard they aren't very good on these trucks either.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:18 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

When you change your pump, you need to flush the entire system to rid as many contaminants as possible. Worn pump means metal and gunk floating around and changing just the pump means the new pump will have the old pump crap fluid going through it.
At any rate, a bad rack & Pinion can essentially ruin pumps if there's any conatmination obviously. A clogged rack or leaking rack can also stress the pump which maxes out it's duty cycle and severly shortens it's life.
I'd do a new rack with a new pump and then get it aligned and be done with it....hopefully?..haha

Old 06-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Veibz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had mine replaced last week. My mechanic was able to find a reman at oreily's for like $41. only charged me $130 for the entire job!

Quick Reply: no power steering when at idle need new pump.