3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A different turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:59 PM
jeep-jeep-01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A different turn signal problem

Ok, its an 06 1500. A while back I was having the switch problem and fixed that and everything worked for a while.

Now on to the new problem... I hooked a trailer up the other day and after unhooking it I noticed my signals on the dash where flashing really fast and the bulbs did nothing. First thing I did was replace all the bulbs and nothing. Then I started to look for the flasher and fuses and what I found out was it doesn't have a flasher and I can't find a fuse for turn signals. I have done everything I know to do.

So does anyone know what the problem is?

Old 06-17-2011, 10:22 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

No fuses under the hood in the fuse panel?

Old 06-17-2011, 10:25 PM
jeep-jeep-01

I didn't see one labeled anything close to turn signals and the ones associated with lights were good. I'll go through it again in the morning.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:27 AM
Denniss66
Veteran

it will be the fuse for your running lights i bet there is one either left side or right side. use a test light and test all the fuses also does the hazzard lights work?

Old 06-18-2011, 12:45 AM
jeep-jeep-01

THe hazard lights do not work at the bulbs but the dash lights blink at the right speed.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:15 AM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it just the tail lights not working or the front also? Both left and right or one side?

If it's rear only, both sides it could maybe be a grounding issue. If it's just one side just a tail light it could be internal to the lamp Assy.

The 02-05 use bars inside the tail lamps and they can rust through, creates an issue similar to blown bulb, but it isn't. The 06 up may have the same thing.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:27 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

2006+ have an electronically controlled fuse panel called the TIPM. It has parking light fuses and that is it.
The problem I believe you are having is the known 2006 TIPM issue with towing. The 2006 TIPM were not configured properly from the factory and when used for towing would result in an overloaded circuit for the directionals. Unfortunately the TSB that I read a while back requires TIPM replacement that is probably $800.

I would suggest stopping by a dealer and tell them you need a "re-config" on the Tipm. Pronounced-->'Tip-em for short. (Totally Integrated Powertrain Module)
The dealer might be able to re-configure the original settings to the revised settings which is basically increasing the totall allowable amperage on the Tow circuit to be increased from 60A to 75A. I think that's the specs, but they raise the spces so the TIPM doesn't go into default and lock the circuit out on an overload which happens when towing on 2006 ONLY Rams.
A re-configure by the dealer means hooking up the Starscan tool and wipes your PCM clean and re-writes the program using your Vin# for your specified options.Takes 20min. Prob $100

Old 06-18-2011, 09:52 AM
jeep-jeep-01

Originally Posted by Owensue
Is it just the tail lights not working or the front also? Both left and right or one side?

If it's rear only, both sides it could maybe be a grounding issue. If it's just one side just a tail light it could be internal to the lamp Assy.

The 02-05 use bars inside the tail lamps and they can rust through, creates an issue similar to blown bulb, but it isn't. The 06 up may have the same thing.
Its all 4 bulbs not working. When I changed the bulbs all the connections looked good and I even added bulb grease.

Thanks everyone, I'll keep working on it and report back with the results.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:07 PM
jeep-jeep-01

Originally Posted by dirtydog
2006+ have an electronically controlled fuse panel called the TIPM. It has parking light fuses and that is it.
The problem I believe you are having is the known 2006 TIPM issue with towing. The 2006 TIPM were not configured properly from the factory and when used for towing would result in an overloaded circuit for the directionals. Unfortunately the TSB that I read a while back requires TIPM replacement that is probably $800.

I would suggest stopping by a dealer and tell them you need a "re-config" on the Tipm. Pronounced-->'Tip-em for short. (Totally Integrated Powertrain Module)
The dealer might be able to re-configure the original settings to the revised settings which is basically increasing the totall allowable amperage on the Tow circuit to be increased from 60A to 75A. I think that's the specs, but they raise the spces so the TIPM doesn't go into default and lock the circuit out on an overload which happens when towing on 2006 ONLY Rams.
A re-configure by the dealer means hooking up the Starscan tool and wipes your PCM clean and re-writes the program using your Vin# for your specified options.Takes 20min. Prob $100
After reading this I got an idea, hook the superchips up and set it to stock settings. Well it worked. All lights are working again. Thanks everyone!

Old 06-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See if you can get the update DirtyDog mentioned so it won't keep happening.

If your away and don't have your programmer you won't be able to 'fix it' yourself.

Congrats on the resolution.

Quick Reply: A different turn signal problem