3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

i admit, i screwed up

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 06:58 PM
savenickinc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry i admit, i screwed up

i got my 06 dr 1500 st 4x4 quad cab short bed 5.7l w/ mds back in may, it had about 77k miles on it and ive put 3 k on it. now about 2thousad miles ago i got a p0406 egr valve sensor a high fault. i noticed there was some loud ticking coming from the oil pan area (yes, i know of the hemi tick but ive got ticking coming from the oilbpan area and also from the top of the engine. i didnt do anything abouy the egr fault besides replace the air filter and dp an oil changr ( cause im driving from fort stewart, ga to fort bliss, tx as we speak and i needed etra money for that.

the fauly wont clear with a scanner o'riellys let me use and also when i did the oil change i put in royal purple 5w-30(is my mds ****ed now? because of te high mileage and also cause im towing in hot weather). is that bad? haha instantly after my oil change the ticking was awfully louder! i know conventional oil covers the sound up nicely but this rp 5w-30 is thicker... but synthetic so thinner? why thr **** is it louder?! it does it when i accellerate and when idling at looow rpms. and yes iy even does it after it warms up.

also!!!!! 12 mpg going 55 on cruise control flat terrain with half a tank of gas and about2500 in tow and cargo including trailer weight

just pulled over and now my gas tank is buzzing?

yall got any insight?

Old 06-18-2011, 07:49 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Interesting. I found the quietest my Hemi tick sounds is when I have 5w/30 RP in it. Yes, according to the Chrysler engineers, 5w/20 in an MDS is imperative for proper MDS operation.

Your saving a few bucks on NOT replacing an EGR that is so clogged it's generating a CEL is costing you more in fuel than the $50 the thing would have cost you at an auto parts store.

May be the previous owner wasn't good about oil changes and you have a clogged screen, I've heard oil pumps tick when they strain to pull oil up from the pan with the screen clogged. Drop the pan when you can and look, if it's sludgy, clean it out.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:54 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5W-30 is 5W-30 synthetic or conventional. Yeah, the MDS is going to be unhappy. Sounds like you're reading the computer for your mileage. I imagine you'll find the true mileage to be more like 10 mpg.

The buzzing is probably your fuel pump. Some folks call it a whine. It's normal. Electric fuel pumps make a whine/buzz noise.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:20 PM
savenickinc

just using math for the mpg im driving to tx now haha slow drive. the previous owner treated this vehicle like dog ****! how do i know? the dang dipstick has a tint of orange as well as the oil fill tube and cap!!!!! blackish stuff comes off the tube and cap with your finger

Old 06-18-2011, 09:45 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Not good

Old 06-19-2011, 11:13 AM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your gas in about normal for towing that wait lay off the CC it will be better on gas because you will have better control before hills and light inclines the motor wont rev up so fast.

as for the tick. if you want it to go away and not lose oil pressure.. i run 15w40 all summer long and i tow in the moutains with 31x 10.5 tsl and im running the stock 3.55 gears. average weight i tow is about 3500 4000 with load and trailor.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:19 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker

im gonna go do the dealer on mine because it has an obvious tick. seems to be much worse when its warmed up.thenI think im gonna pull the oil and make sure theres nothing interesting in there. on mine, i actually sounsd like a exhaust like either in the manifolds area or y pipe area. but its kida hard to tell.
I had a CEL light comeon the other day.. the orange one that loks like a water pump. unplugged the battery and plugged it back in and it hasnt shown back up since. I think the next thingim gonna do is get a superchips with the main purpose of reading those codes, i tried the key trick that I used on the dakota but that didnt do anything. plus.. i was gonna buy a superchips anyway and run an 87 octane tune for a while and see how that goes

Old 06-19-2011, 02:15 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Check the manifold bolts, very prone to snapping, especially on the '03s. Would cause a tick for sure and be louder than the "Hemi Tick".

Old 06-19-2011, 06:50 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Check the manifold bolts, very prone to snapping, especially on the '03s. Would cause a tick for sure and be louder than the "Hemi Tick".
im hoping thats what it is. if thats the case, I'll just put a set of long tubes on there.... that oughta fix it

Old 06-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Kscha41
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71

I just had two bolts break on the pass. side and one break on the drivers side. I heard a difference especially when the engine was cold. Luckily I have an extend warranty and they ended up replacing all the bolts, both manifolds(they said they were warped and cracked) and both gaskets. So I would crawl under your truck and look for broken bolts.

Quick Reply: i admit, i screwed up