3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HID Compatable

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 12:23 AM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HID Compatable

I did a search for hids and came up with nothing...are the stock headlights HID compatable can they take an HID bulb i dont want to replace the whole light just get some brighter bulbs and soon to come the hella 500's behing the grill is one of my christmas presents so i would like to do all the light work at once
Thanks to all

Old 12-03-2008, 12:53 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

yeah. H13 but you will need to get Bi-Xenon H13 bulbs so you can still keep your high beams. The regular ones only have low beams.
Factory housings and HID bulbs create a scatter effect. Lots of people will most likely high beam you because the light isn't even as the projectors style lenses. You won't find any dealer that puts factory HID's in anything other than projector lenses.
I'm going to wait until I find headlights that I like before I put in HID's because I can't stand when others are so blinding, that I don't wanna be that guy. I just run my high beams on those guys until i pass them. If they wanna be ignant, so will I.

Lights behind the grill won't get you anywhere on the road. Those are for strickly offroad or unless there's nobody else on the road.
Also, you'll need what's called "Cancellor kit" to get rid of the flickering effect that the ecu creates on the less consumed hid's.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:20 AM
Ridinhigh
All Star

would regular silverstars get rid of the scatter effet and what causes it it seems it should just brighten the existing light beam and i know they are only for off road lights but i was going more the extra high beam because stock high beams do almost nothing i hardly use them i just leave the lows+fogs and get more light and want that far reaching ability

Old 12-03-2008, 02:17 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

The factory light has a scatter effect because of the housing design. The design amplifies the light and makes it brighter than what it really is. The HID is 3-4times as bright as any Halogen bulb. That means that the scatter effect is amplified 3-4times the amount from normal, and it's 3-4times as bright. Mix those together and it pretty much gets amplified 100x over.
Silverstar Ultras are gonna be pretty bright. H13's for the headlights. 9006 for fogs
I agree with you about the high beams. It's because the foggs turn off with the highs. I actaully think there's better light output from the lows/fogs on than the highs. i could care less about watching the sky...lol

Last edited by dirtydog; 12-03-2008 at 02:24 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:48 AM
ram-fjallasport
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fog ligt's

I have tryed to modify the fog light to be on when hig beam is on, but it stay on when i use low beam also. dont want that last thing.

So is there a way to turn on the fog lights when high beam is on,
and off - when high beam is off?

Old 12-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star

that would be a little helpfull and is 9006 the type of bulb that you need for the fog lights and i understand now but most HID's are bright until the car is right next to you and i dont really care about other people much since when i had a mustang with HID's people thought i had brights on as well but the light output made me feel a lot better during night time driving

Old 12-03-2008, 01:24 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Ridinhigh
that would be a little helpfull and is 9006 the type of bulb that you need for the fog lights and i understand now but most HID's are bright until the car is right next to you and i dont really care about other people much since when i had a mustang with HID's people thought i had brights on as well but the light output made me feel a lot better during night time driving
Well that will make you see better, but blind everyone else. I'm just trying to save you from those cops that pull people over for their lights. My brother-in-law is a trooper and is one of those that pulls people over for their lights if they are too bright. It's a major safety hazard and he was telling me how many people have acciedent because of them.(oncoming people, not the bright light cars) Oncoming traffic can barely see and that's a problem. HID's emit a different kind of light that is not the same as halogens. HID's are dircted in a specific path and if you were being flashed constantly, than your lights were aimed too high or didn't have projectors. I think it's a PIA to have people do that all the time. Think how bright it is when they flash you????
Anyways, it's your truck and your in a whole 'notha state...lol
9006 is for the fogs. It's a 55w fog light, that's why your high beams look pathetic because you have 4 55w lights on with your low beams and foggs, then with the high beams they are only a angled upwards 60watt light. 4 eyes are much better than 2 when in comparison to ane another.
It's like having 4 subwoofers vs 2. Not twice as loud, but definately noticeable increase.

I would look into the Luminics bulbs. They are very nice lights and last longer than the Silverstars imo. They run about $70 shipped for both heads/fogs for the ulta whites. Platinum white runs a bit more, but I likt the slight hues of blue they give off. It's very suddle and sharp looking.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star

It's like having 4 subwoofers vs 2. Not twice as loud, but definately noticeable increase.
i like that analagy and thanks for the info and the mustang headlights were just that BRIGHTER and people assumed that the brights were on that is until i flashed back. I just dont have the money to buy new headlights and i like how the stock ones look not into changing them much not until at least a while down the road but i think i am going to check out those lumanics bulbs as they seem pretty decent and will compare them to the HID's but regardless what I put in if its a brighter bulb everyone will think i have brights on

Old 12-03-2008, 06:32 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

No prob. I'm full of analogies. My wife gets sick of'em..hehehe
Hey, there's nothing worse than trying to understand something you have never had any experience with... right? I love to explain in other words that people may know that is alomst an identical situation and that way they can understand better. besides, it's fun

Old 12-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Whiteout08
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One step up from the Luminics bulbs is a bulb manufacturer called NARVA...their bulbs are true white, no colorized film over the bulb to decrease output.

CandlePower is the site to go to for purchasing these bulbs...I've used them on 3 cars and it's amazing how crisp the light is that comes out of them, and they sell ALL sizes.

Quick Reply: HID Compatable