3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cool Sparkplugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 05:59 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
... I was a bit lean ...
So was I 'til I got older.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:35 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

A colder plug is not going to cure a lean condition. A cooler plug is used with N.O.S. or forced induction (turbo/supercharger) to keep detonation down. It will not fix a lean condition.
A good tune with a slightly richer a/f ratio would be a safer bet. Heck, a power wire may richen it enough.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:39 PM
sbarrow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
What intake, headers & tuner you got? I'm running a K&N, Pacesetter Long Tubes and a Superchips and my plugs look perfect with 22k on them. I had the original set in for 11k after I installed my long tubes and to be honest, had I not already bought 16 Champions, I would have let them go past 30k, they looked fine and the gap was still perfect.

That's why I don't let anybody else touch my truck and do all my own work, I can see for myself exactly what's going on when I change something...
Have JBA Headers, Airraid intake, superchips cortex and currently the champion iridium plugs. changing the wires to MSD today also from stock but that shouldnt make any difference

Old 06-29-2011, 08:27 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Chuck the Iridiums and go back to copper. Copper works better.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:32 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lxman1
Chuck the Iridiums and go back to copper. Copper works better.

Yep, that's what I was gonna say. I'd bet they were burning white before the headers went in. The Hemi don't like iridiums or platinums, but loves good old cheap copper plugs...

Old 06-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys there is nothing short of changing stock stuff that will give any change in HP or range of performance. Air flow and exhaust flow will be the only things that will change anything like that. The stock computer will always bring anything u change back to 14.7 to 1 fuel ratio. So if u make s spark plug work harder to fire the burn time will simply be increased from the coil pack. The computer has one goal and that's to have the best burn efficiency possible a 14.7 to 1 fuel mix. Unless u change the PCM programing just about any mods are a waste of money.

Quick Reply: Cool Sparkplugs