3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cool Sparkplugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 08:09 PM
sbarrow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cool Sparkplugs

looking for pointers and opinions please.

since doing intake, headers and tuner, my mechanic is suggesting going 2 levels cooler with my plugs. he's pushing the NGK's (LZTR6AIX-11)

I cant find these things anywhere but through him for about 15 bucks a plug. considering I just did the truck with stock heat range IR champions not too long ago, I'd kinda like to find a better deal.

can anyone comment for me please on plugs, heat range and somewhere a lot cheaper to find cool plugs? I'm finding everywhere I look only carry the stock heat range.

Cheers!

Old 06-27-2011, 08:34 PM
scwpd
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is he saying you need colder plugs ?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:51 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What else is done to your truck to necessitate colder plugs? Normally, that much colder would be the result of boost and increased compression ratio. Nothing you've mentioned would indicate you need more than standard plugs.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:35 PM
scwpd
Veteran

^^^^ that's why i was asking the only time you go to colder plugs in when you have forced induction. you don't have any mods that would require them. sounds like he is just trying to rip you off.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Ben D.
Champion

if no increase in compression ratio or boost... stock heat range...

so unless you snuck an STS turbo on there without even knowing it.... (what a sick surprise that would be)

Old 06-28-2011, 12:59 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, I don't see a performance benefit from going with cooler plugs, but my thinking is he's looking to richen the mix a tad. Increased air flow from the CAI and especially headers will lean you out a bit, add a tuner set for performance which increases timing (the reason you need premium fuel to prevent pre-detonation) also works to lean out the A/F ratio. Cooler plugs will force the PCM to richen the mix a little.

I was a bit lean (not CEL lean, but for sure leaner than stock) after my CAI, LT headers and tuner as well. I found that the simple change to a cooler thermostat (180* in my case) was all that was needed to bring the A/F ratio to near stock.

If the plugs are new'ish and normal temp range, put $20 in a cooler thermostat rather than spending big jing on cooler plugs (16 of 'em no less).

If you are already running a cooler t'stat, then I'd put a wideband on it and check the A/F. I think you'd find you don't need to make a change to cooler plugs...

Old 06-28-2011, 01:15 PM
scwpd
Veteran

here is hammer's part list for the tstat
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...at-part-s.html

Old 06-28-2011, 02:59 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Stick with the OEM plugs your truck came with

Old 06-28-2011, 05:04 PM
sbarrow

the argument is that it will void the warranty on my headers, and might damage the O2 sensors. they stated that they pulled a plug when they felt rough idle, (misfire) and it was white, hence moving to a cooler plug.

I'll pull one tonight and see for myself. dont want to throw good money after bad into this but it is idleing a little rough.

thnx gents.

I found these at rock auto for 6 bucks each so that I can stomach vs 14+.

reason I couldnt find them is they gave me the wrong part number it's -13 not -11

Old 06-28-2011, 05:12 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

What intake, headers & tuner you got? I'm running a K&N, Pacesetter Long Tubes and a Superchips and my plugs look perfect with 22k on them. I had the original set in for 11k after I installed my long tubes and to be honest, had I not already bought 16 Champions, I would have let them go past 30k, they looked fine and the gap was still perfect.

That's why I don't let anybody else touch my truck and do all my own work, I can see for myself exactly what's going on when I change something...

Quick Reply: Cool Sparkplugs