3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P0406 Code - How long can I let this go?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Hoosier BigHorn
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0406 Code - How long can I let this go?

Check gages light came on this morning. Used my flashpaq to read the code and it came back with P0406 EGR position sensor circuit high. After researching this here on the forum I concluded that I need to replace my EGR valve or at least clean it and see if that helps.

My question is how long can I let this go? I am supposed to drive up to Indianapolis tomorrow morning for my father and mother-in-laws birthday party and I'll either drive back tomorrow night or Sunday morning. It is approximately 110 miles from my house and takes me a little under 2 hrs to get there. Will this be ok? So far, the truck has been driving like normal since the light has came on and I haven't noticed it doing anything out of the ordinary yet.

Any help is appreciated. I can borrow a car from my parents if I need to. I just want to make sure I don't do any unneccessary harm to my baby.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:55 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker

If its leaking then your MPG will go down..down..down

Old 07-15-2011, 01:57 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Gas mileage will go to crap, emissions might pop a second CEL, but for the short term you won't do any damage to anything. However, it's still early afternoon, this is a $40'ish part and a 10 minute swap on a Hemi, just do the thing before you go and be done with it...

Old 07-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Hoosier BigHorn
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Gas mileage will go to crap, emissions might pop a second CEL, but for the short term you won't do any damage to anything. However, it's still early afternoon, this is a $40'ish part and a 10 minute swap on a Hemi, just do the thing before you go and be done with it...
Fair enough. I'll call around and see if I can find one and pick it up today. I think I saw there was a write up on how to replace it in the DIY, but it didn't really say anything besides "remove bad one, install new one". Is it a pretty straightforward replacement?

Old 07-15-2011, 02:50 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, it's sitting right near the top, front, passenger side. Small socket set. Unplug old, take out 2 bolts, replace, put in 2 bolts, plug in. 10 mins IF you've never done it before, more like 5 if you have...

Old 07-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Hoosier BigHorn
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yep, it's sitting right near the top, front, passenger side. Small socket set. Unplug old, take out 2 bolts, replace, put in 2 bolts, plug in. 10 mins IF you've never done it before, more like 5 if you have...
Yeah I was able to locate a couple of pretty detailed write-ups. It looks easy enough so I'll probably knock it out tonight after work. AutoZone had one in stock for $39.99 with a 2 year warranty, not too bad of a price. Thanks for all of your help.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Hoosier BigHorn
Rookie

One more thing...do I have to disconnect the battery after I install the new valve, or can I just use my flashpaq to clear the code?

Old 07-15-2011, 07:28 PM
contractors Hemi
Rookie

Just did mine this week and leaving the cable off during the process cleared the code. But I paid alot more than 39$. And on a 2006 there is 4 bolts and 2 gaskets total.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:20 PM
bambambu281
Default P0406

I have a new egr valve in my mini van and i just noticed it starting to act up the other day when the cold weather started coming in. is there a way to clean it and maybe that will help out?

Quick Reply: P0406 Code - How long can I let this go?