3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil treatment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 08:48 PM
koondawg
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil treatment?

Does anybody use stp oil treatment? I so do you add it on top of the seven quarts or do you do around six and a half and the STP? thanks

Old 07-15-2011, 09:56 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

7qts is MAX fill, so if you plan on putting in a cleaner or something, then do 6qts/1qt or 6.5qts/.5qts.
Filling over the required amount can damage your motor/seals and likely cause leaking.
I use Marvel Mystery oil every few oil changes to keep the inside clean and polished. I don't do a full oil change run with the stuff although you can. I like to drain 1qt out towards the end of the oil life(500miles or so)" and then it'll come out relatively soon when your ready to do the oil again. Then I do 100%oil, no additives.

If your thinking about Slick 50' or thickening oil agents like STP..DON'T as they will eventually clog and gunk up your oil galleys and restrict flow. Marvel Mystery oil is what I use. Seafoam is too strong for me. Only time I would ever use STP in the blue bottle(v6-v8) or Red bottle(4cyl treatment) is if you had an oil leak or valve leak problems. That stuff is honey and is too thick for daily use.

Last edited by dirtydog; 07-15-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:13 PM
koondawg
Amateur

thanks for the reply. Sounds good, I was gonna wait on a few replys before putting it in. so sounds like it may be goin with the trash now. I appreciate the input.

Its a new to me truck and i'm just trying to change all fluids and clean her up a bit. inside and out. I was gonna put new shock bushings in yesterday. When I got them off one shock was bent. I have 4 more comin now. only downfall to used stuff. I am alittle picky though. Plus this is my first gas truck, so I dont know what to expect.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:11 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, the days of using STP are kinda gone with the modern engines with such tight tolerances plus the additive packages found in today's oils (even conventional ones). You'll find the best results are to use just oil and change it & the filter at the recommended intervals...

Old 07-16-2011, 03:20 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't use anything myself. A good name brand oil has plenty of additives and detergents already in them. No extra is needed.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:27 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STP breaks down to good ol' motor oil in a few hundred miles anyway.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Wanderer
Veteran

In my youth, the 60's, alot of cars would start using/burning oil in the 60-70,000 mile range. In the era that the only emission control was a PCV valve, one would use STP, Motor Honey or similar product to raise compression and reduce oil consuption.

Yea,the good old days, keeping the points in spec, drum brakes and nylon cord tires that only lasted 20,000 miles.The flip side' a fill up was only $3-4.00 and premium only added 80 cents. Fixes were simple and cheap and the salvage yard was heaven. Sorry for the rant, but I'm not taking this ageing very well.

Quick Reply: oil treatment?