3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4x4 Manual Shift Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:28 AM
cbknight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 Manual Shifter Not Working/Hooked up

Hi Everyone. I am a proud father of a great 16 year old son who is the new owner of a '04 1500 Quad Cab Hemi 4x4. He got it yesterday. As info, this truck was a fleet truck driven by a manager for the life of the truck. It is high mileage but seems to be very tight and well maintained. As an upper manager at the company, my step father put the word out that he was looking for a truck for his grandson with the fleet manager and a few weeks later this one came in. The price was about 30% of KBB. So it wasn't bought from a dealer and I just can't take it back to have it worked on. So as a member of the GM Forums, I thought I would ask here. I appreciate any advise in advance.

The transfer case shifter on the floor to engage the four wheel drive doesnt seem to be hooked up. It moves freely with no resistance. The fleet manager said the truck has probably never been used off road. I do not know whether it has or not. Nor do I know whether it was "unhooked" because there is a problem with the four wheel drive (the printout of the service of the truck which shows the complete service history from day one shows no maintenance or problems to the four wheel drive).

My question is two part:
1) How do you hook the linkage back up to the shifter (is it done by taking the boot off and from inside or would it be from underneath by the transfer case.) It doesnt feel like there is any linkage moving connected to the handle.

2) Is there anything I should do in case there is something wrong with it to reduce the risk of tearing something up if it was indeed unhooked because of a problem?

Thanks again.

Last edited by cbknight; 07-29-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:28 AM
vivini

Same thing happen to my truck, its a cheap fix.

But you will have to buy the shifting rod and the bushings from a dodge dealer. Mine cost around 60$ for everything.

Once you have them just connect the shifter Rod to the transfer case using one of the bushing and then connect the other side of the rod to the shifter lever using a similar bushing.

Here's a link

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...t-linkage.html

That's basically the same thing your going to do.

And yeah you have to re hook it from underneath

Old 07-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

I do not own a 4x4, but I hear it's fairly common for the grommet holding everything together to dry rot and disconnect from the transfer case. Should not be too expensive to fix, just look under there and see what's missing.

**edit**
Looks like vivini beat me to it. But welcome to the forum at any rate. There's plenty of awesome and helpful people here, with a wealth of information

Last edited by Brandon Anderson; 07-29-2011 at 11:37 AM.

Quick Reply: 4x4 Manual Shift Not Working