3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

squeek, Anything To Worry About

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 04:44 PM
=XE=Kong
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeek, Anything To Worry About

Last week I picked up an 08 1500 Quad 4x4. It has 53675 on the odometer. When I go slow around turns, I get a high pitch squeak in the front end. It has 275 60 R20 Goodyears on it. The only other problem is when I apply the brakes, there is a slight surge to them. Not like a warped rotor, but a slight apply and release of pressure on the brakes. It still stops good, but is a little annoying.

It is a 100 degrees here today, so I took it Valvoline, and did a an oil change and reset the computer. On my Chevy, I could hit the trip button and cycle it to see how much is remaining on the oil life, I don't think you can do this on the Dodge. I also had them check the diff oil while they were under there. I figured it would be black, but it looked fresh, almost like it had just been changed. The transmission oil also looked and felt fresh also. It had a new air filter in it, so no need to change that. When someone trades in a truck, is it normal for them to go ahead and change the diff and tranny fluid, or do you think the previous owner just took really good care of it.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions about the squeak and the brakes surging. Thanks

Old 07-29-2011, 10:24 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would say the previous owner probably did the service. I would check the tierod ends and ball joints for the noise.
The oil change due will show up on the odometer at 2500 miles after it is reset when changing the oil.
The pulsation is probably the rear rotors slightly warped.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:09 AM
=XE=Kong

Thanks for the tips. I will check the rod ends. What ever is causing the pulsing, I am going to try to track that down tomorrow. The more I drive it, the more it drives me nuts.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:19 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine does it a little bit if I brake hard at high speeds.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:11 PM
NHHEMI
Professional

Originally Posted by lxman1
I would say the previous owner probably did the service. I would check the tierod ends and ball joints for the noise.
The oil change due will show up on the odometer at 2500 miles after it is reset when changing the oil.
The pulsation is probably the rear rotors slightly warped.
The OLM trips based on driving factors not set miles. My OLM( 08 Ram )tripped once at 2500 miles( initial trip of it )but it has not tripped at all any other time with OC's going as long as 5500 miles. If your OLM is tripping every 2500 miles it is because your driving style/habits cause it.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:39 PM
=XE=Kong

Well, ball joints and tie rods ends felt ok when I jacked it up and checked them. I think I do have it narrowed down a little. When I was stopped in a drive thru today, I was pumped my brake a time or two waiting in line. I had my window down, and I could hear a grinding from the drivers side caliper when the pedal was depressed. I am going to have to take the wheel off and check the pads and caliper. I have never had one make a grinding sound like that when I pump the brake.

Quick Reply: squeek, Anything To Worry About