3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intake Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 02:18 AM
Bluelu00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Issue?

I just bought a 2003 Ram 1500 with a Hemi. The truck has a K&N cold air intake installed. When under hard accelleration the truck really growls, and it seems to have no more gain in accelleration from about 1/2 throttle to full. It has great accelleration when driven normal, but it seems like something is not quite right when I step on it. I wouldn't say it bogs out, but the only effect from stepping on it is more growling, but no noticeable difference in accelleration. The MAF sensor had fallen out and was just hanging by the wires when I got it, so I used MAF cleaner on it and re-installed it. I have not had it checked yet, but the check engine light is on and the previous owner said it has been like that since the intake was installed. My question is: Is this just how the truck performs, or is there an issue?

Old 08-01-2011, 04:24 AM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by Bluelu00
I just bought a 2003 Ram 1500 with a Hemi. The truck has a K&N cold air intake installed. When under hard accelleration the truck really growls, and it seems to have no more gain in accelleration from about 1/2 throttle to full. It has great accelleration when driven normal, but it seems like something is not quite right when I step on it. I wouldn't say it bogs out, but the only effect from stepping on it is more growling, but no noticeable difference in accelleration. The MAF sensor had fallen out and was just hanging by the wires when I got it, so I used MAF cleaner on it and re-installed it. I have not had it checked yet, but the check engine light is on and the previous owner said it has been like that since the intake was installed. My question is: Is this just how the truck performs, or is there an issue?
Do the "key dance" and pull the code from the oddometer display.
It works for 03's as I do it on mine often.

The key dance is, turn the ignition to the "on" position and not to turn over the engine 3 times. This should be a quick rapid action and should not take more than 2-3 seconds.
Ie off-on-off-on-off and then on the third "on" where the ignition lights are glowing, leave it and look at where your miles/trip counter is.
It will start to display a character for example P, then a 4 digit number.
Right all these down as you may have several stored in the PCM.
When the display says done....switch off.
Post up your codes and we'll take it from there. The codes can be letters other than P in my example, so write them all carefully down.
There maybe several issues that will generate codes, which will indicate if your trucks poorly.
Hope this helps and post up.
Al.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:34 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the site. It is normal for more growl from a CAI. However, get that MAF fixed ASAP and fix your intake leak.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Bluelu00

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Welcome to the site. It is normal for more growl from a CAI. However, get that MAF fixed ASAP and fix your intake leak.

Thank you. I am already impressed with this site. I asked the previous owner if he noticed a difference after installing the CAI and he said not much other than the growl, so I am aware of that.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Bluelu00

Okay Al, I did the "Key Dance" and here are the codes it gave me:

P0442
P0513
P0138

Old 08-01-2011, 11:59 PM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try the following remedy's for your CELs. I get the p0138 also after my cai install at low speeds, it goes away after running it out. Your PCM could probably use a reset and learn your acceleration and driving methods, compared to the previous owner.

P0442= evaporator leak, check hoses by evap canister for cracks or rot.
P0513= incorrect skim key, reset the PCM ( disconnect bat neg)
P0138= o2sensor issue, right bank 2nd sensor. Replace o2 sensor

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Owensue; 08-03-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Bluelu00

I checked the hoses by the evap. canister and found large cracks on one of the hoses. I cut the end of the hose off and re-attached it. I think the security code was because I had a key made that did not have the chip in it. I haven't done anything about the sensor, but the CEL has not been on since I checked the codes.

Quick Reply: Intake Issue?