3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 Hemi loses power...sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Neb
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Hemi loses power...sometimes

Hello,
My 04 Hemi runs great 99% of the time, but I have an issue somewhere. While driving to Dallas 2 months ago, all was fine, then a sudden loss of power. Check engine light appeared as did a little red lightning bolt lookin' light on the right side of the cluster. Had to pull over on highway. When idling...instead of around 600rpm, it was around 1200rpm. I just turned the truck off for a minute or so and the truck ran fine. Lightning bolt light gone, but check engine light remained on fot quite a while and then went off. This has happened 3 times in two months, after long trips (coincidence?). Truck always runs ok after turning off and back on. But this worries me. Any ideas? Sorry...long question, but wanted to be thorough.
Thank you

Old 08-16-2011, 08:47 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You need to scan for stored codes. it is probably either a TPS issue or a Throttlebody issue.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Neb
Rookie

I'm guessing that I will need to go to autozone or somewhere else to have that done? Is there a different procedure for looking for stored codes? Like I mentioned, the truck is fine most all the time, so will the autozone guys know what to look for or will there computer gadget pull up any and all codes the truck has shown? As you noticed I'm not all that up to date on this sort of thing as most of my vehicles are older. Thank you for your help!!

Old 08-17-2011, 12:56 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

turn your ignition on and off three times in a rhythmic and fairly fast manner, without going all the way to 'start', and pausing ever so slightly at off.. a code will appear in your odometer area.. that is a stored code.. it will be P something..

the lightning bolt is your engine protecting itself, and going to limp mode.. you'll have no power in limp mode.. which came first? the loss of power or the lightning bolt?

are you still running the stock cat on that thing?

Old 08-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Neb
Rookie

Tried the code thing with the ignition and can't get it to work. Dumb as a bag of hammers am I or am I missimg something obvious? As for the lightning bolt, I'm not sure which came first, although one time engine and lightning bolt was on and truck seemed to be running ok.
As for the exhaust, yeah, I still have the stock set up. It's starting to rust and leak and was getting ready to get a new system.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:47 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, Autozone will scan it for ya. Write down the codes and post them here. They don't always give the best advice to how to repair the code issue. They often blame the O2 sensor just because the code shows out of range or something.

Quick Reply: 04 Hemi loses power...sometimes