3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:49 PM
cjk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of atf-4 oil have you guys found that works the best for dodge trannys that is not synthetic or are tgey all pretty equal. Also dose anyone run attatives like lucas or simular. Thanks again

Old 08-23-2011, 03:32 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

i use Royal Purple atf max but at $11 (17 qrts for a full change) a quart it isnt cheap

Old 08-24-2011, 09:50 PM
cjk

well its back to smooth shifting again the hardest part is the mess removing the pan pretty easy fix. thanks for the help

Old 06-26-2020, 12:08 PM
Danny Murillo
Default I have the same issue with my trans. Which parts did you order? Thank you!

[QUOTE=cjk;2580345]well its back to smooth shifting again the hardest part is the mess removing the pan pretty easy fix. thanks for the helhel

Old 12-04-2020, 06:24 PM
Cory Mills
Default Same exact problem

My own for ram 15 hunderd has the same exact problem in the same exact code ,P0 700, P0750. I have already replaced the solenoid pack, & Speed sensors. I have not done the quick learn. But my truck is still doing the exact same thing. I guess my question is without the quick learn wouldn't fix the truck or would it have been quick learned to make the symptoms go away? Any help with this would be great. Thanks you all.

Old 12-18-2020, 09:52 PM
Attaboy

Originally Posted by daytonatransmissionservice
HI...my name is roger i own an automatic transmission shop...
seems to me like your solenoid pack just went out...along the years they start to put in the dodge caravans,sebrings etc...basically passenger cars
up until 2003-2004 dodge ram change the transmission it used to be 518-618 in diesel engines...

i just need to know if its a 5 spd auto or 4spd...
there are 2 kinds of solenoid packs
black conector
white conector

to replace one of those ones you will have to take tha pan off and pull the valve body....transmission parts are around 250 for a new one and also updated

if im right when you turn the key off...gets out 1th gear when you go to a stop light boom...a limp mode...and other situations...

a good and used one can cost you 50 bucks...and relearn can be done by scanner or driving...

im positive if is not the 518 so you will have to replace the solenoid pack..
if is the 518 so your problem is not a solenoid...
theres no solenoid call low-Reverse for that one theres just 4 solenoids
wich are... lock up-o.d-pressure sensor-and gobernor pressure...

so if im right its gonna be the solenoid pack on either 5rf55e or 4rf55..i dont remember the name of that transmission....any more questions i might help go to daytonatransmissionservice.com and send me an email..

Roger
Daytona Transmission Service
Hillsboro Or

Would you mind checking out my post? LOL

Old 12-20-2020, 12:47 PM
Jeremy Autry
Default Trans. Wont go out of 2nd gear

I have a 1996 ram 1500 Laramie edition with the 5.2 in it. It started having trouble shifting so I replaced the filter and adjusted the kick bands. I also replaced the gaskets obviously. After doing so I thought it was fixed for about 12 miles then it wouldn't go out of 2nd gear at all. There are so many solenoids and sensors that I dont want to play whack a mole because I can't afford it. If someone else has had this problem and fixed it please contact me thank you so much.

Old 12-20-2020, 01:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Quite likely its just an electronics problem, that can be solved by swapping out the governor pressure sensor, and solenoid, with the newer (better) borg warner heavy duty units.

Try this: Unplug the 8 pin connector at the trans. This will completely disable PCM control of the trans, so NO automatic function, at all. Also no TCC, or O/D. You will have to shift manually. (up and down.....) So, go for a drive, shift when appropriate, and see what happens. If it goes into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it to, then it's just the electronics. If you still have issues, then its likely rebuild time.

The following users liked this post:
ashley05 (07-11-2022)
Old 12-20-2020, 07:43 PM
Cory Mills
Default thx for the reply.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Quite likely its just an electronics problem, that can be solved by swapping out the governor pressure sensor, and solenoid, with the newer (better) borg warner heavy duty units.

Try this: Unplug the 8 pin connector at the trans. This will completely disable PCM control of the trans, so NO automatic function, at all. Also no TCC, or O/D. You will have to shift manually. (up and down.....) So, go for a drive, shift when appropriate, and see what happens. If it goes into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it to, then it's just the electronics. If you still have issues, then its likely rebuild time.
I found a post wherd a gentleman suggested swapping two wires in the connectors at the PCM and shift solenoid and check to see if you get a new code or te same code( WHICK I DID) po750. His trick with the wiring has lead me to believe that the driver chip in the PCM is at fault. I have ordered a new PCM and it should be here in a couple of days. Hoping this puts an end to this horrible problem.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

That's not going to help you. Shift solenoid A is for O/D.

Quick Reply: transmission limp mode