3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fog lights wiring and installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 03:52 PM
ram_as_hard_as_you_can
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool fog lights wiring and installation

so i am installing new fog lights
i bought them and they came with wires and a switch
there are two pairs of open end wires black/red
i have to hook them up to a 12v 30amp power source i drew what it looks like

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ps the green wire is white but because the background is white i put it green

so where do i hook the wires and how do i insert the switch inside the cab with no cutting

Attached Thumbnails fog lights wiring and installation-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by ram_as_hard_as_you_can; 08-22-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:00 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You should ground the lights individually to the closest place to them that offers ground.

I have a guide to off-road lights in the FAQ section:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...nd-relays.html

Old 08-22-2011, 04:59 PM
ram_as_hard_as_you_can

i do not want to "ground the lights individually" because i do not know what that means
but the thing is "where do i hook the wires"

Old 08-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Boo Radley
Professional

Originally Posted by ram_as_hard_as_you_can
i do not want to "ground the lights individually" because i do not know what that means
but the thing is "where do i hook the wires"

umm yeah you do want to ground the lights individually because it's the proper way to wire lights and if you read the diy in the link he gave you then youd know what it means and youd know where to hook the wires. also, your "12v 30a" power source is not a power source at all, its a simple 30a relay. there is a pic in that link that shows it pretty well, that pic he put in his diy is used on about every forum where there is a diagram for lights.

Last edited by Boo Radley; 08-22-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:41 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

grounding the lights individually, simply means taking the black wire from each light and grounding it to a good ground(frame, bumper..etc). as for the wires...

Black goes to ground...
red from relay/fuse goes to battery
red from switch goes to a hot(power) wire that either always has power(if you want to be able to turn lights on all the time, including with key off.. which can cause you to leave them on.. been there done that) or you can find a wire thats is only hot when the ignition is on. id get a fuse tap and run it to your radio fuse or something that is hot only when you have your key on, that way if you leave them on you wont have a dead battery.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:22 PM
ram_as_hard_as_you_can

so when you say "Black goes to ground..." so i just screw it to the chassis ?
and where do i find a hot wire
and do i have to link the battery(-) to the chassis ?

Old 08-22-2011, 10:59 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ground wires always get screwed to a CLEAN and bare part of the engine block or frame where "ground" is because thats where the (-) side of the battery is connected to

Old 08-23-2011, 12:50 PM
ram_as_hard_as_you_can

OK thanx a lot you have been a great help for me i know that i am an idiot but bear with me one last question
if red from relay/fuse goes to battery
why cant i connect the red from switch goes to the battery too

Old 08-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

The safety and convenience of a relay allows you to have a lower gauge (bigger wire) to supply the higher current draw from the battery / power source to the fog lights, and then the switch can be wired up with a higher gauge (smaller wire) to a switch that you wire up in your cab. Without a relay you would need a heavy duty wire from the battery to a heavy duty switch to the fog lights, not a good setup at all. Please go back and take another look at the diagrams that HammerZ71 has in this post here

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...nd-relays.html

Compare that to your diagram you posted. In your diagram what you have labeled as "Shori 30amp/12vdc" is a relay. You will be wiring the switch up to the relay as the "trigger" which will energize the relay and allow the current to go thru the relay to the fog lights.

Hope that clarified it a little bit more for you. Electrical wiring is definitely something that must be respected and done correctly or major problems could arise. None of us here certainly want to have risks of electrical fires starting under the hood of the truck your driving (it happened to me before, if not for the fire extinguisher in my truck it would have been much worse).
If you are unsure of your wiring abilities, you'll have to weigh the option of spending money to have a shop install it correctly or worry if you just installed a safety hazard. These forums are here to help everyone with advice and knowledge so we can either do it ourselves or feel more knowledgeable when we talk to the shop guys. I'm sure EVERYONE on here has at least something that they just won't do themselves and take it to a shop for.
Knowledge and safety should never be ignored.

Last edited by Caseys-dodge; 08-23-2011 at 01:56 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Quick Reply: fog lights wiring and installation