3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4x4 help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:17 PM
kenman44
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 help!!!

4x4 module keeps blowing fuse in 2004 dodge ram hemi quad. fuse (size 25) under hood beside battery. I have done no work to this. Any help is greatly accepted. THX

Old 08-24-2011, 08:41 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Does it blow when you try to turn on the 4x4 or blow when you put the fuse in?

Old 08-24-2011, 09:31 PM
kenman44

I pulled the posi cable on battery and insert the fuse. As soon as the cable touches the post it pops. Even does it without pulling cables as I dont like to do it that way. Thanks for any advice you may have.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

Sounds like you are going to have to do some serious under hood time and start tracing the wires. It's very likely they got pinched somewhere and it's shorted out to ground (any bare metal).
Oh BTW I think it's more customary to pull the negative wire off the battery while doing work instead of the positive. It was explained to me along time ago why but I forgot, something to do with the fact that all the vehicles here are negative grounded.

Find a post with Weedahoe's signature and he has links to all the service manuals and parts manuals, they will have every bit of wiring info you'll need.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:07 PM
kenman44

Thanks for your help, actually when I first done this I pulled the negative side first and after that not working I pulled the only other choice..positive side and it still popped. The truck is never driven hard only highway miles mostly to work 65 mile round trip always worked this winter. I noticed the service 4x4 dash light on first then turned the round **** under radio on dash and it had no lights. Everything else on truck works great. I know it has to be a bare wire somewhere,, is that maybe the only thing it could be?

Old 08-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

My main guess would be a bare wire, however I have the manual floor shifter, not the electronic 4x4 version. I don't recall reading many problems with the elec version popping fuses... Do you know where the electronic shifter module plugs into near the transfer case (I'm thinking)? If you can find it and unplug it then install a new fuse, if that fuse blows you narrowed it down to the wiring.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:43 PM
kenman44

Thanks for the advice I will start running down the wires

Old 08-30-2011, 08:08 PM
kenman44

To everyone that's tried to lend advice thanks. I found the problem under the drivers dash knee plate. There is a wad of wires that go thru the firewall to the fuse box. They also run really close to the emergency foot brake and the yellow wire in that cluster was rubbing on the metal brake brace. I can't see a hole but it must be there as the fuse is not breaking now that the wires have been moved well away from metal and taped up. Hope this can save someone else the trouble as it was a bear to find. All works like new again Thanks again

Old 08-30-2011, 10:27 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

excellent news

Old 08-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

Oh wow, thanks for that great find. I always use my parking brake, now I need to go outside with a flashlight and check that area in my cab.