3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Starter? or Alt Problem? Strange Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 05:28 PM
FireFighter
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem Corrected.

-1st: Took starter to be tested yesterday (forgot battery due to time restraints on getting to g-babies 1st birthday party)

Starter tested ok. But bought new one anyways since this was the orig and has 202K miles on it. Installed, same problem. Checked all cables, removed heat shrink from pos cable to make sure corrosion hadn't gotten inside jacket, all ok, nice pretty shiny copper.

Ground cables tested, resistance within spec.

- Took "2 month old" Duralast Gold down today to get tested. Tested BAD. This battery was a free warranty replacement in late June this year from the orginal Duralast Gold. So, this is the 3rd DG battery from the original purchase.

-Installed, starts like new again.

Sorry to say, my faithfulness in Duralast just went down the toilet. *Duralast Gold*

Last edited by FireFighter; 09-04-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:14 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Just goes to show just because it is new doesn't mean it will work like new.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always start with the simplest things first

Old 09-04-2011, 09:10 PM
FireFighter
Veteran

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Just goes to show just because it is new doesn't mean it will work like new.
Yeah, that's true. But, on #3 under free replacement with their product. Something is wrong with their quality control. Optima on my list.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:11 PM
FireFighter
Veteran

Originally Posted by Gone Fishin
Always start with the simplest things first
You must not of read the OP

Old 09-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Kevno6
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my battery and hate to say it was a Optima Yellow Top. Jump starting truck all the time. Battery in ACC would not last more than 20 mins and assumed it being a new battery it wasn't the problem. I went with Diehard Gold and never a problem. Even though something is brand new doesn't mean it isn't crap. The Luck Of The Draw!!!!

Old 09-04-2011, 09:36 PM
FireFighter
Veteran

I hear ya Kev. Luck of the draw is so correct for me and batteries as of late. Plus, just found out that the DG and Optima are made by Johnson Controls...only a few manufacturers out there.

Well, at least I get a brand new 3 year free replacement warranty.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

Glad you got another "new" battery for free. I normally get all my stuff from autozone and haven't had much trouble with any parts that I can think of. 2 years ago I got a battery from Advanceauto and just had that replaced like last month. Before I got the Ram I had bought a brand new 04 Silverado and I lost count of how many times the dealership swapped out my battery under warranty in just 2 years. Finally the service manager told me that the batteries they have to use are basically junk. It's so sad that we have to spend so much money to buy these trucks and the quality just isn't there.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:29 PM
EMST52

I would like to add a question to this topic Ive got a 2005 Ram with a 4.7 Ive had this problem happen once before. I get a soft click and only clicks one time. I try again and it normally starts. Somes times it may do it 3 or 4 times. This happened almost a year ago exactly did the same thing but it wouldnt start period. I changed the battery, starter and ignition switch with no luck. I finally changed the negitve battery cable and worked fine until now. I swapped a negitve cable out again (didnt buy a oe cable) and it didnt do it for about a week. All the grounds are clean and tight. I didnt know if the battery cables are a common issue or if theres somthing else to look for.

Also Johnson Controls manufactures battery for GM, Duralast, Optima, Diehard, Everstart, Autocraft. The different companys request different internal constuctions. From my experience GMs and the Everstart arent your best bet I see alot of these go bad fast I know every cars different but the Duralast Golds seem to do a good job and the Optimas quality has really went down in the last few years. They used to seem like they lasted for ever. On another note my Crysler battery lasted almost 7 years thats almost unherd of.

Last edited by EMST52; 10-06-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Starter? or Alt Problem? Strange Problem