3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what headers to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 01:22 AM
Big_K9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what headers to go with?

I want to get headers on my 03 Ram Hemi. I can't affor the full lenth headers that are over a grand. I would like to stay under 700. I am almost sure that I want to go with the JBA headers. Just wondering what you guys think. thanks

Old 07-21-2005, 01:32 AM
Avanti
Captain
Default RE: what headers to go with?

If you cannot buy "long tube" (and the longer primaries the better unless all you are interested in is top-end), save your money until you can. The meager power gains with shorties are not cost effective, especially if money is an issue for you.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, nor what the vendors of shorties want you to hear, but it's the truth, verified with many, many dyno pulls on all sorts of engines.

All the best.

Old 07-22-2005, 01:30 AM
Big_K9

Thanks, do you know of any other long tube headers other than Mopar and I can't remember the brand of the other. Thanks

Old 07-22-2005, 02:34 AM
Avanti
Captain

Sure there are other brands. One I'm familiar with is Dynatech. Kooks and others may now be making hemi headers. But, none will be cheap since most quality headers are now made of stainless... for obvious reasons, if you've ever had regular steel headers on anything for any length of time. Again, I'd hold off until I could go the stainless route--especially if you anticipate keeping your truck indefinitely.

One benefit of the Mopar header is an issue of engine warranty, should you need it. The law says that aftermarket equipment cannot be used as the basis of exclusion unless it/they can be shown to be the cause of the problem, but who wants to risk the potential hassle if performance is comparable. Besides, I suspect that Mopar simply out-sources their header to one of the "big time" aftemarket companies, such as Borla or Corsa, or some such.

I imagine a google search would turn up all available long tubes for the hemi. I'd want to see pix of exactly what I was getting before ordering. A "sticky" thread above had what appeared to be a picture of a set of V-10 headers and my request for a post of the actual hemi header never materialized (to my knowledge). btw, the ones pictured didn't have particularly long primaries; that's why I asked to see the actual hemi header. All long tubes are not necessarily created equally. Long can mean different things to different manufacturers.

Just my $.02 as a looonng time hot rodder, engine builder, and racer.

All the best.

Old 07-23-2005, 02:59 AM
Big_K9

thanks for the advice. I will start saving probably for the mopar headers. Thanks again

Old 07-23-2005, 08:25 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I think Pacesetter has a stainless set that is reasonable. Don't know about thier reputation though.

Old 07-24-2005, 12:48 AM
YeahItsAHemi345
Record Breaker

http://truckperformance.com/products...mber_EDL66693/

I like these ones. I plan on gettin em in a couple weeks. And they don't cost to much too!

P.S. Go with a name you can trust. Edelbrock's been around for years and stands for quality.

Old 07-26-2005, 03:44 AM
Avanti
Captain

If the picture on the Edelbrock site is accurate, theirs simply looks like another cheapo shorty to me. Expect a little more sound but not much in the way of power increase, especially at less than WOT.

All the best.

Quick Reply: what headers to go with?