3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OK, my turn to ask for help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 10:08 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Hammer when you get a chance and look at the lever. Sometimes the gromet will come apart and cause the linkage to just float around, then when you hit the small bump. The linkage may have fallen out the lever of the transfer case. i have also seen the linkage break as well. I have also seen but it been rare that shifter breaks at where the linkage is connected. If you do need to put the transfer box in 2hi. Then you may need a pry bar and remove the linkage so it out of the way and move the lever at the transfer case. Keep us posted.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah Hammer, I just got home but I've already been beat to uploading those pics. I'll put money on it that the linkage just came out, those dang rubber bushings are just a press fit and it really doesn't take much to pop them out. If your lucky the bar is still on one side just hanging in the wind.

** Of all the guys on here, I would've thought that an admin would have used the search feature first lol, Just giving you a hard time Hammer, you've help all of us out plenty of times.

Last edited by Caseys-dodge; 09-09-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:42 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Why use search when he knows the members on the forum will have the answers.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:42 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I really didn't know what the issue was. As I said the two areas I know least are tranny and transfer case (I still say the inner workings of an automatic transmission is voodoo sh*t). But am pretty sure I could have spotted a linkage issue tomorrow when I have the chance to get under the truck.

I actually Googled it before I logged in here and posted and had a pretty good idea where to look first, but then I thought I almost never start a thread unless it's a "check this out" type of thread.

So I made me a thread asking for help...

Old 09-10-2011, 07:55 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by John M
Didn't someone recently post about how the linkage for that lever comes loose a lot? It's like a cotter pin and maybe a washer and you're back in business.

Yep, I did the search thing and found this recent thread. Very informative...

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...t-linkage.html

I may crawl under & take a quick peek to make sure this is my issue this morning, I have to be out of here in a few minutes for a golf tourney but I kinda want to know.
I'll be tackling it this afternoon, hopefully I won't need any dealer parts since every dealer within an hour or so from me either isn't open for parts/service on Saturdays or closes at noon.

If I need parts, hopefully I'll just be able to work it back into 2WD at the transfer case end for the time being. Although I don't have anything planned I need the truck for in the next few days. Was gonna fish sunday where I need 4WD to get back to, but I can take the Jeep. I guess there is some benefit to having my daily driver be a 4x4 too, LOL...

Old 09-10-2011, 10:14 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Well they pushed back my golf event from 10 till 1 due to over 3" of rain on the course, so I had a chance to change into "work" clothes and climb underneath. I have one 90% disintegrated grommet and nothing else! Linkage is GONE!

I was able to manually push the lever on the transfer case back, so it's in 2WD now and drivable.

I dunno if it's worth re-tracing my steps and looking for the linkage or just buying one. Can't be that damn expensive, it's a short rod and two grommets, but you never know when it comes to stealerships!!!

Old 09-10-2011, 10:23 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 4x4 **** has never fallen off the dash

When I decided to get a Ram I searched for problems with the Tcase or selector setup and didn't see any major issues with either so I was happy with the ****. I also had to have a Laramie and drove 3.5 hours to get one.

It wasn't like my 92 GMC, where people always had issues with the thermal switches that engaged the hubs even with the manual Tcase. I never did have those problems though, even on a 12 yr old truck. I have never put my Dodge into 4 LOW. It was always a little "dance" with the last truck and I'm not quite sure what's required with this one -- do I do it while stopped, rolling slowly, etc. It's not like I ever do anything that requires it anyway.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:26 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I had an '02 Z71 for about two years in between my '98 2nd Gen Ram and my current '04, transfer case got partially submerged and it took out a solenoid for the push button electronic shifter, so I didn't want to mess with that again.

Good news! I found the linkage, not 1/2 mile from the house just a layin' in the middle of the road! Musta been dangling on one side for about 11 miles and finally fell off on the last turn before my driveway.
Ordered the two grommets from the dealership just now at $8 and change a piece, will be in Monday A.M. So I should have this thing pressed back on no later than early Monday evening.
BTW - the post by r6express that I linked in this thread was quite helpful, sure enough the parts guy wanted to sell me the whole shifter/linkage assembly for stupid money just to get the two lousy grommets. I gave him the part # in that thread and he was able to order them, he didn't know they existed by themselves from Mopar.

My thanks to r6express for his recent thread, Harrison0550 for the pix that helped and everyone else who responded...

Old 09-10-2011, 12:13 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Hammer here are the mopar part numbers.
Rod 52105555AA
Gromet- updated T/C side 5080227AA
Gromet- shifter side 52105551AB
Clamp-rod 52105212
Bolt for clamp J018077
And if you find or get a another rod from a pick and pull the gromet numbers would be 68078974AA x2 I don't know the price's, But I'm sure the dealer can tell you over the phone, now that you have the mopar numbers.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:21 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Based on r6express's recommendation and someone else's on another forum, I just ordered two 68078974-AA grommets, was told they work fine they listed at just over $11 each and the dealer gave me a price of $8.40 each, which was bad enough for a lousy, rubber grommet. They know me pretty well up there, not only have I bought three vehicles there, but have sent about a half dozen others there for vehicles and have sent countless there for parts if I was helping someone do work on their truck. So they give me decent pricing.

As stated, I found my original rod, clamp & bolt in the middle of the road.

But thanks for the research...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-10-2011 at 12:24 PM.

Quick Reply: OK, my turn to ask for help...