3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Who knows how to bargain with the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 12:48 PM
stump_breaker
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who knows how to bargain with the dealer?

Hey, short time lurker first time poster -

There is something you can do to really drive down the price of your new truck. I know cause I just got my Quad Cab for less than 18k before any money down! Now understand I opted for a base model with the 4.7.

The trick is to go to the Dodge web site and see what the incentives are for your area then go to your dealer. They were giving employee pricing + cash back. Negotiate the price, kick scream, laugh, joke, hem-haw or whatever you go to to just get the price as low as you can. Then LEASE the truck! You get an additional 2k-3k back depending on dealer participation!! When you get your paperwork and tags in the mail, go to a credit union and refinance. I got 5% on the refi so my payment is pretty sweet. I was able to score a 2005 base Quad Cab for $17,500 lease price with a MSRP of 27,000+. From there I had them add cruise control for $450. It also had the 4.7 which works fine for me and the 17" steel wheels which - IMO - ride a whole lot smoother than the 20". I was going to be able to get a Lone Star Edition (Texas) For less than 20k and that is the one with the 20" wheels, cloth, DIC, etc. but I got to tell you, I'm a lot happier with the base model in comparison and for what I use it for.

They will try to sick it to you on the interest rate of the lease but don't worry about it. Just ask them what payoff will be in 30 days. This is the number you will be concerned with. Make sure they don't roll in your trade - if you have one - and tack it on the end. It will give you a bigger payoff and higher refi payment. This is where money down comes in.

Anyway, Just trying to help..........

Old 09-17-2005, 05:26 AM
alikalantar

Very smooth negotiating.

So I can probably get the Hemi Quad cab for about 21k or so now huh?

Should I hit them up now or wait a few months?

Old 09-17-2005, 07:20 AM
Leonard
Veteran

When you refinance isn't it still a lease?
A few years later after making payments you have nothing to show for it.
Leasing never made sense to me.

Hey, short time lurker first time poster -

There is something you can do to really drive down the price of your new truck. I know cause I just got my Quad Cab for less than 18k before any money down! Now understand I opted for a base model with the 4.7.

The trick is to go to the Dodge web site and see what the incentives are for your area then go to your dealer. They were giving employee pricing + cash back. Negotiate the price, kick scream, laugh, joke, hem-haw or whatever you go to to just get the price as low as you can. Then LEASE the truck! You get an additional 2k-3k back depending on dealer participation!! When you get your paperwork and tags in the mail, go to a credit union and refinance. I got 5% on the refi so my payment is pretty sweet. I was able to score a 2005 base Quad Cab for $17,500 lease price with a MSRP of 27,000+. From there I had them add cruise control for $450. It also had the 4.7 which works fine for me and the 17" steel wheels which - IMO - ride a whole lot smoother than the 20". I was going to be able to get a Lone Star Edition (Texas) For less than 20k and that is the one with the 20" wheels, cloth, DIC, etc. but I got to tell you, I'm a lot happier with the base model in comparison and for what I use it for.

They will try to sick it to you on the interest rate of the lease but don't worry about it. Just ask them what payoff will be in 30 days. This is the number you will be concerned with. Make sure they don't roll in your trade - if you have one - and tack it on the end. It will give you a bigger payoff and higher refi payment. This is where money down comes in.

Anyway, Just trying to help..........

Old 09-19-2005, 06:27 PM
stump_breaker
Captain

When you refinance it gets you out of the lease so now you are buying and building equity. Doing it the way I did, I'm not upside down and all of the drive-off depreciation was gone. Keep in mind though, when you refinance don't be surprised if they will not go past 60 months. Most banks will not. 72 months will put you upside down.

Refinancing will buy out your lease. I think they also call it a lease/buy or whatever. You will have a baloon payment at the end. Like I said just BE SURE to find out what the payoff is (keep that as low as possible) and get it done by at least your first payment or it's going to start working against you. You'll start making payments that will not be able to keep up with the depreciation of the truck. Another thing I found out - I got this when I called DC finance to see if they would just refinance the truck instead of me going through more paperwork at the credit union - DC does not have a finance department. The dealership finds a rate for you and tells you it's through DC. Then DC buys out the contract so it looks like your paymens and financing is through DC. A dealership has a set finance rate the finance dept. has to hit. Here's the kicker - anything OVER that rate goes to the finance person. So When someone with a credit score of 800 plus can't get better than 8% at the dealership (actually happened), this is why. Or at least this was the case at Randall Noe in Terrell, TX who I DO NOT recommend. They are crooks. If I had not used my own financing, I would HAVE NOT bought the truck.

Old 09-20-2005, 03:42 PM
njcoach

i bought my ram 1500 daytona edition for 28,500... The sticker was 40,575 with all the options. I agree with eveyones advice on the invoice price and all that., The most important thing is to go in on the second or last day of the month.. The GM is happy to make deals to make his quota..

Old 09-21-2005, 04:48 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats exactly what i did. i waited till the 05's came out and bought my 04 since it was a left over, and got it for under $28 and that was my dealer price back in march. truck stickered at $35. so i would wait untill the new 06's come out and go get yourself an 05 decently cheap

Old 09-21-2005, 04:55 PM
kkeeble

Buy at the end of the month. they need to make there sales. My Fiance works for a dealer. you can get it for invoice plus the destination fee.. they have to make that...

Old 09-21-2005, 04:57 PM
HemiNam

njcoach was that out the door price?

I'm looking at a Hemi Quad Cab SLT 4x4 that stickers for $34,485 right now and have been trying to get the dealer down but haven't been successful. They told me employee price was 29,996 and then another 4500 off for rebates but then tax and all that would bring it back up to 28, 3xx out the door. What do you guys think? Good deal? I'm trying to get them to $26,500 out the door but haven't been successful at two dealerships. The only thing I have working against me is that the 05's are running out of stock and I might not be able to find the truck I want if I don't hop on this now. Any advice????

Old 09-22-2005, 12:18 AM
HemiBuell
Captain

HemiNam, you can do better than that.

Old 09-22-2005, 05:36 AM
alikalantar

Just got back from the dealer, they have the Quad SLT Hemi sport Lonstar (20 inch rims) and the same in 4x4, both have the sport package...

Got the 4x2 down to 22,300 and 4x4 down to 24,700

I passed and I am trying to get them down to 20,500 ....I think they still have room to play,we will see.

But I saw the 2006 model which is really nice and seems alot more comfortable than 05's. It seems like you are sitting in a car.
Anyways, not sure what the hell I want to do..
Spoke to the finance guy as well and he said if you want to get the special pricing you have to finance through Chrysler and he said the interest is about 1 % higher than usual. So you need to consider that as well.

I see alot of 05's on the floor I think they need to wheel and deal to get rid of the 05.
Still not sure if I should pay 5k more and get the 06's.

Has anyone driven the new model?

Quick Reply: Who knows how to bargain with the dealer?