3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power wire resistance question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 12:33 PM
BadHazard
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power wire resistance question

Attatched is a diagram of the power wire. When I dont have the spades on that will connect to the air intake wires; it reads 4.59-4.6, which is fine. However when I put the spades on and take a reading it drops to the 3s. Any idea why?

Seems how all i would have to do it hook it up to my truck, and its reading in the 3's is it stil being effective?

I used the same resistor shown in the DIY video

Attached Thumbnails Power wire resistance question-wire.jpg  
Old 10-01-2011, 05:09 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't quite follow but think I understand anyways...

When you have it sitting on your bench, it reads 4.2, and when it's hooked up in your truck it reads 3.2..right?

Anytime your doing a resistance reading, the measurement will be different hooked up as compared to when it's not hooked up. You essentialy added series resistance which would add up, but there is internal Parallel resistance as well. When you combine the 2, depending on the initial values will indicate a different reading when coupled within the same circuit. Very hard to understand and explain unless you have Electronics experience. Overall, a lower or higher value hooked up is normal. You can't go by those values either as resistance should be measured when Not powered or hooked up. You wouldn't measure the resistance of a sensor when the pigtail is attached because of the said reason.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:28 PM
BadHazard
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright. so it should be good to go?

I asked weed last night, I just wanted to get more input, no offense to weed. He is very knowledgeable

Old 10-01-2011, 07:05 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BadHazard
alright. so it should be good to go?
Originally Posted by dirtydog
Anytime your doing a resistance reading, the measurement will be different hooked up as compared to when it's not hooked up. You essentialy added series resistance which would add up, but there is internal Parallel resistance as well. When you combine the 2, depending on the initial values will indicate a different reading when coupled within the same circuit. Very hard to understand and explain unless you have Electronics experience. Overall, a lower or higher value hooked up is normal. You can't go by those values either as resistance should be measured when Not powered or hooked up. You wouldn't measure the resistance of a sensor when the pigtail is attached because of the said reason.
yes...

Last edited by dirtydog; 10-01-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Power wire resistance question