3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Cold Air Intake makes truck Sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 04:25 PM
BadHazard
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I agree, the big restriction here is the "Hemi Hat" in front of the TB. It's a resonator to muffle sound, especially that of the EGR opening and closing. On a very mildly modded vehicle, a higher flow drop in and just removing that "hat" performs just as well as a CAI. Now when you do other things to increase the flow and use engine internals that can use that greater air volume, then a true CAI starts to show benefits. Now you start getting into a cam, heads and headers, you're gonna want a CAI.

I'd like to do one of the newer "dry-flow" filters like the AEM or Amsoil, but my K&N at seven years old is still in perfect shape and I can't see replacing it at least when there are other places in need to spend money on right now. My Jeep needs springs and isolators bad and that's money that HAS to be spent.

The PCV valve is mounted into the top of the intake manifold, located to the right / rear of the throttle body. Remove PCV valve by rotating counter-clockwise 90 degrees until locating tabs have been freed. After tabs have cleared, pull valve straight up from intake manifold.

If it's not totally shot, it can just be cleaned and re-installed...
Brake cleaner alright to use? And will I just "know" if it is shot or jsut dirty by looking at it?

Old 10-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy put a K&N on his truck and used too much oil on the filter. It ran sluggish as well. He replaced 2 spark plugs that had gotten coated with the filter oil and cleaned out the filter and used the spray instead of the bottle and the truck ran great.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:53 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Arctodus
My buddy put a K&N on his truck and used too much oil on the filter. It ran sluggish as well. He replaced 2 spark plugs that had gotten coated with the filter oil and cleaned out the filter and used the spray instead of the bottle and the truck ran great.

That is the ONE drawback to an oiled filter. If you don't know what you are doing at cleaning/re-oiling time, you can make a mess.

Up until just a couple of years ago, if you wanted maximum air-flow with maximum filtration, you had to go with an oiled filter (which I have always used). But recently advances in the technology of dry filters have them rivaling oiled filters in both flow and filtration and there is NO guess work when it's time to clean them. You just clean them and stick 'em back in.

If I were doing one today, I'd go with a premium dry flow filter like an AEM or Amsoil...

Quick Reply: Hemi Cold Air Intake makes truck Sluggish