3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

allignment question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 09:17 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have to take mine to a local 4x4 shop for alignment, the dealer can't even do it as their machines have a limit of 33" tires. Matter of fact the dealer's machine can't even spread the tracks out wide enough for my tires to fit on them and my offset isn't nearly as much as I've seen around here.
Last time I had it done at that shop was when I replaced my tie rod ends and they charged me $68 after taxes...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 10-14-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:42 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

what method did you use to lift the front end

Old 10-15-2011, 07:52 AM
mikh338636
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
what method did you use to lift the front end
all i did was tighten the stock torsion bars i know its not the correct way to get that lift but i didnt want to spend 100 bucks atleast just to get the torsion keys.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:32 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

there is essentially no difference between cranking the existing bolts or putting in leveling keys, they BOTH raise the front by exerting pressure on the torsion bars. 3" IS TOO MUCH! You are running the CVs WAY out of spec and putting strain on the t-bars, ball joints and tie rods. Plus I think you aren't going to have enough adjustment to bring it back to alignment.

You're going to end up costing yourself WAY MORE $ in the long run than a proper lift kit (especially a $350 body lift kit) would have cost you!

You want that much lift then crank the bars back down an inch and do a body lift with it!!!

Old 10-15-2011, 02:47 PM
mikh338636
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
there is essentially no difference between cranking the existing bolts or putting in leveling keys, they BOTH raise the front by exerting pressure on the torsion bars. 3" IS TOO MUCH! You are running the CVs WAY out of spec and putting strain on the t-bars, ball joints and tie rods. Plus I think you aren't going to have enough adjustment to bring it back to alignment.

You're going to end up costing yourself WAY MORE $ in the long run than a proper lift kit (especially a $350 body lift kit) would have cost you!

You want that much lift then crank the bars back down an inch and do a body lift with it!!!

well the shop got it all aligned for me and said eveything looked and felt great in the front end. do you really think i have that much to worry about? if so maybe i will bring it down a little bit

Old 10-15-2011, 02:52 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by mikh338636
well the shop got it all aligned for me and said eveything looked and felt great in the front end. do you really think i have that much to worry about? if so maybe i will bring it down a little bit
That's up to you. I will say that the '02-'05 torsion fronts tend to take level heights better than the '06+ coil fronts. If the ride is too harsh, back it down!
Now I can promise you that you'll be replacing tie rod ends, ball joints and probably even U-joints sooner with that much unsupported lift up front. By unsupported I mean no drop brackets or cross-member/sub-frame support like a true suspension lift gives.
Also, you better learn how to swap out a CV joint, because I've just known A LOT of guys had one or more fail when running at that kind of angle.
I'm not trying to **** in your cornflakes or trying to talk you into spending more on lifting that truck, but I've got A LOT of experience with these IFS front trucks now and I've seen these issues. Just trying to prepare you...

Old 10-15-2011, 04:54 PM
mikh338636
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
That's up to you. I will say that the '02-'05 torsion fronts tend to take level heights better than the '06+ coil fronts. If the ride is too harsh, back it down!
Now I can promise you that you'll be replacing tie rod ends, ball joints and probably even U-joints sooner with that much unsupported lift up front. By unsupported I mean no drop brackets or cross-member/sub-frame support like a true suspension lift gives.
Also, you better learn how to swap out a CV joint, because I've just known A LOT of guys had one or more fail when running at that kind of angle.
I'm not trying to **** in your cornflakes or trying to talk you into spending more on lifting that truck, but I've got A LOT of experience with these IFS front trucks now and I've seen these issues. Just trying to prepare you...
alright well thanks i really appreciate the info and help. maybe i will drop it back down, now that i did my allignment i probably just wasted the $97 it cost to allign it this morning im taking it. oh well $97 is a lot cheaper then the hundreds and hundreds on all the other parts that may fail...i will probably have to get it re-alligned after i drop it back down as well huh?

Quick Reply: allignment question