3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lowering Shackles

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 05:51 PM
krid80
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did the McGaughys shackles two weekends ago and I also removed the overload. Took me about 3 hours total with the most of that being on the leaf springs. We used air tools because we have them and, well, why not, but could have gotten by without.
The overload spring is a pain in the butt, but worth it. Check my signature pic. Nice and level.

Last edited by krid80; 10-27-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So there is an overload spring? How's the ride without it, and have either of you towed without it?

Old 10-28-2011, 12:10 PM
krid80

The only thing that the overload spring does is come into contact with the top three leaf springs when they are maxed out. Ride and handling isn't changed and I never load the rear suspension so heavy that the suspension would be fully collapsed and riding on the overload. Towing would only be affected if you exceed the maximum tongue weight.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:14 PM
TheZunk

I don't have air tools, and after losing everything (including tools) in a house fire 2 months ago it might be awhile before I get to the OL spring. Shackles for now I suppose, but I would love to get the OLS out.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:16 PM
bgbluram2
All Star

Yep, I tow my 18ft. enclosed Toy Hauler with it all the time. Truck handles great and still doesn't bottom out with my trailer and it weighs about 3k lbs. before I throw all the bikes/quads and equip in it. I think I am going to add some air bags for towing in the future just to be safe, but that has nothing to do with the shackles or overload spring removal. I would have done it to the stock rear suspension too.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:42 AM
krid80

Originally Posted by bgbluram2
Yep, I tow my 18ft. enclosed Toy Hauler with it all the time. Truck handles great and still doesn't bottom out with my trailer and it weighs about 3k lbs. before I throw all the bikes/quads and equip in it. I think I am going to add some air bags for towing in the future just to be safe, but that has nothing to do with the shackles or overload spring removal. I would have done it to the stock rear suspension too.
I like the profile on your tires pictured in your signature. What are they and what size?

Old 11-01-2011, 02:19 PM
bgbluram2
All Star

Originally Posted by krid80
I like the profile on your tires pictured in your signature. What are they and what size?
Those are the stock crappy Goodyears. They look okay for now though.

Quick Reply: Lowering Shackles