3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hard starting except first start of day; fuel smell

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 09:08 PM
DodgeArmyGuy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EvlKenevl
If your motor is cold & flooded it will start, hot &flooded it will need to turn over to clear the unspent gas. Spend a little $ on 1 injector & swap out each until you find the bad 1.
So you think it is an injector instead of the EGR or another sensor? I know I did have a CEL for a little bit that was "No 5 cylinder misfire" but it cleared out and has not come back since. I guess I can try that since we are talking only 1 injector but that is going to be at least 8 days to find which one if I am unlucky! LOL.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:58 PM
intheblue25

This same thing is happening to me, I am going to pull the plugs and check them, don't know when the last time they were changed was.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:54 PM
DodgeArmyGuy

Okay, I have replaced the EGR with a new one and I pulled off and completely cleaned the TB (even though it was not that dirty at all). The engine still has the same symptoms described in my original post (hard starting after running for a period of time except first thing in the morning!) and now for the first start of the day it will start then jump RPMs to about 1300 then settle into the cold idle RPMs.

I have had one other person respond that I should buy one injector and try each injector to find if one of those is bad (and that will take me 8 days to complete). Is there anything else I should do first before I do the injector deal?

To me it still sounds like it is flooded or not getting enough air after the engine has been ran for a bit.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might sound a little "off" but try smelling the oil on the dipstick when it has sat and is cold--just a theory---if you do have a dripping injector, the oil may have a strong gas smell first thing because the gas leaked down past the rings, then gets burned off throught he egr after it fires up. Also, when it does refuse to start--check to see if its getting spark--could be somnething electronic acting up

air - fuel - spark,

if you have spark, pull the front plugs--easiest to get to, see if they are soaked

Old 12-17-2011, 08:10 AM
EvlKenevl
Rookie

did you find a solution for your hard start yet?

Old 08-16-2012, 05:31 PM
DodgeArmyGuy

Originally Posted by EvlKenevl
did you find a solution for your hard start yet?
Sorry for taking so long to get back and finally close this topic with a fix:

It was getting harder to start the truck even first thing in the morning and the smell of raw gas coming out of the exhaust when it did start definitely led me to believe a flooding problem was occurring. I found a solution to check for a leaking injector at another site, and basically applied some common sense as well from my previous CEL code of Cylinder 5 misfire.

I disconnected all the wires on the driver side (Cylinders 1, 3, 5, and 7), left the system pressurized, and lifted the fuel rail up with the injectors still attached. Sure as it hasn't rained all the much in Farmington, the number 5 injector was leaking and the well was full of fuel. I replaced it with a brand new one, put everything back together and hoped the problem was fixed.

It started right up and ever since then (about 2 weeks ago) it has started normally with no gas smell out of the exhaust or extra cranking required to get it going.

Thanks to you for the suggestion that eventually led me to fix it right!

DodgeArmyGuy

Old 08-18-2012, 02:41 AM
BeamChristen

When to replace AC coolant ? My vehicle doesn't delivering high performance.

Quick Reply: Hard starting except first start of day; fuel smell